X5 fuel consumption

Bob Loch

Hi, just joined the forum after buying a 2004 X5. Having owned several BM's in the past thought it was time to try the X5. What a car, first class drive, usual build quality. One thing though.......fuel consumption! I did loads of homework before choosing the 3.0d model as it was said to be reasonable on fuel (given the size of car), so fills it up on picking it up. Reset trip, I have now completed just over 300 miles to one tank! Average mpg around 15.

Whilst it has been freezing up here (Perth) i did expect it to be better than this. Is this the norm for the 3.0d in very cold weather, the Webasto heater looks new and the car has a full service history.

Any hints, info would be much appreciated

Bob

Welcome to the club mate.

Fuel consumption (urban) 16.1 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 27.4 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 21.9 mpg

That for auto box

Fuel consumption (urban) 16.2 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 28.2 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 22.2 mpg

Not much difference for manual box...

thanks for the reply

why are they said to be good on fuel then, reading press and adverts for them would have you thinking they were reasonable?

its quite discerning to be honest, whilst i didn't buy it with economy in mind i had hoped for better than that, does the very cold weather have an impact?

thanks for the reply

why are they said to be good on fuel then, reading press and adverts for them would have you thinking they were reasonable?

its quite discerning to be honest, whilst i didn't buy it with economy in mind i had hoped for better than that, does the very cold weather have an impact?

It did on my 1.6 peterol Megane from 34mpg to 28 in the winter.

My 320d E46 there aint to much difference as long as you dont boot it before the engines warmed a little..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I have owend an x5 diesel for the past 5 months and mine averages around 30mpg.That includes lots of town driving around Birmingham.

On a run upto sheffield on the M1 i can get it up to 38mpg as long as you keep to 70mph. Make sure you have the correct size tryes on it and that the PSI is correct. Use good quality fuel , i use shell which is the same price as Morrison fuel.

You could try putting diesel cleaner in the tank, it keeps pipes and injectors clean.

At the end of the day fuel economy is mainly due to your right foot and if you live in hilly area it will use lots more.

• 1 month later...

Mine's a 2005 X5 3.0D Sport that's done over 60k miles and I live in hilly north Wales. Over 3 years I've averaged 32 mpg. I don't have a heavy right foot but don't hang about either, tending to accelerate smoothly whenever possible. I don't know if they all have it, but there's a very useful (and sometimes frightening) fuel consumption meter on my dash. As ade X5 says, tyre pressures are important and I find that ensuring the engine air filter is clean helps, too. If you're getting black exhaust smoke when you accelerate hard, it's well past time to get a new filter in.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Does the X5 have an EGR? If it does then these can become the common cause if they aren't working as they should... Remove it and clean it thoroughly with thinners/petrol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I've just joined this forum so be gentle.

Incase you were feeling too bad about your fuel consumption, I have the 4.4 V8. Don't even TALK to me about fuel consumption ;)

Love it though!

tell us an cheer the rest of us up! :)

Hi, I've just joined this forum so be gentle.

Incase you were feeling too bad about your fuel consumption, I have the 4.4 V8. Don't even TALK to me about fuel consumption ;)

Love it though!

Welcome along..come on..tell us :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

thanks for the reply

Hello mines new to me.53 plate showing 27 round town 34 0n a run to wales with cruise on all the way 3 ltr diesel that will do for me.

• 1 year later...

I have several V8's over the years a couple of early Range Rovers 10/12mpg tops, and 3 AMG Merc's 15/17 mpg average (easy to get single figures though)

My X5 is a 4.4 but converted for LPG I get about 17mpg around town but at £0.69 a ltr and after reading this thread it looks like it's cheaper to run than a Diseasel Yahoo.

My 2013 x5 40d returns around 32 to 34 mpg and thats with some hard driving. There must be something if all you are getting is 15mpg.

Mine was a 4.4L V8 sport so i think 15mpg is probably about the norm.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links