X5 Series Owners

Steve

• 2 months later...

I bought my 2005 3.0D Sport (with most of the toys) from a BMW dealership 3 years ago. It's done 56k miles now and I'm very pleased with the quality and performance. Fuel consumption is better than I expected. I replaced the original (Michelin) tyres with General Grabber UHP and can totally recommend them - a grippier tread pattern for mud and snow, with a compound containing silica. Despite the chunkier tread they are much quieter on the road. The speed rating is higher, and they are cheaper (or should I say "less expensive"?). Check out BlackCircles.com - around £135 each, if I recall correctly.

Just changed the engine air filter myself, which instantly cured the black smoke I'd started getting on hard acceleration. Why don't BMW dealers ever change it at servicing?? Not been impressed with main dealer servicing at all. They only know how to charge.

This is my 2nd BMW (I had a Z3 for several years) and I still enjoy surprising other drivers and pedestrians by being courteous on the road. It's a pity many don't repay the compliment though.

• 1 month later...

Just got my 2003 3.0i and loving it. Had a RR L322 vogue before and the X5 is far superior in ride and quality. Happy days!!

Hi Timkent, welcome along

Im glad your loving it, get some pics up mate..

X5 Series Owners, How are you finding ownership of your X5?

let us know

Hi,Had my X5 30d for 5 months and is a fantastic car. Been all over the place in it, only problems I have had are the following:

New drivers side lower arm

New front subframe bushes

Total cost fitted from local garage £211.00

Then had drivers side front anti roll bar link replaced.

Total cost £82.50

This item was replaced by the very impressive AUTOKRAFT SERVICES LTD. 015640703434 ASK FOR NOEL. These guys really know their stuff.

• 1 year later...

Just gone from an o5 plate Merc ML270 special edition to a 55 plate black X5 3.0d Sport.

The difference is like night and day!

I have to say that the ML is probably more suited to off roading but for looks and road performance the X5 is way ahead.

Had a few little niggles - parking sensors not working - door mirrors won't stay folded in when parked - needs new Cd Changer.

However it's all being sorted under the guarantee so no worries.

Only ever had 7 series beamers before and they were useless in snow or ice - hope this beastie is a lot better! :)

We shall see.............

Interesting thread. I like the X5 but I have no confidence in it at all. With the issue I had recently with transmission it scares me to drive and have totally lost interest in it now it. That and the fact is has cost me a lot of money so to put right.

If I had my time again I would have kept the Vectra VXR!

• 4 weeks later...

Well that's just over a month gone by since I got the X5.

Just delighted so far!

Typical Beamer comfort on very long journeys - makes you want to go back and do it all again! :)

Any recommendations to improve the dipped lights, they're not exactly sharp on a dark rainy black top?

Has standard halogen type lamps btw.

Oh and I wasn't chastising the Pearl Dabsy - I loved every 7 series I had - just living in the Highlands in the winter snow it was better left at home is all.

Combination of tyres too wide and rear wheel drive meant it tended to just sit still in any depth of snow!

• 3 months later...

Black e53 X5 3.0d

5 Months down the line now and still loving every minute I drive in it!

Horrible squeaking from the rear suspension somewhere but not a "nasty" squeak, more of a high pitched rubber sort of squeak.

I've drenched all the rubber bushes I can find in silicone spray so we'll see next time I take it out.

Don't really notice it except when in an enclosed space e.g. multi storey car perks where it echo's.

A bit embarrassing but I don't mind that.

I love the way it can surprise the boy racers (and me!) when you ask it too!

For a big car and a diesel to boot it can fairly shift.

Is there any way I can tell if it's been remapped as it is WAY quicker 0 to 60 than the book figures say?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it's just over a month since I brought an X5 4.4 Sport, primarily to tow a horse box I have been really pleasantly surprised and pleased. Performance is excellent ride is very comfortable we have ended up using it almost everyday (not the original plan).

There are a few little jobs that need doing (aren't there always) some scuffs and scratches (I am fussy) digital TV upgrade (done) there are a few creaks and groans from the suspension (bit like me in the mornings) they will be investigated next week it's booked for a full service.

One of my hobbies is shooting and I have already tested its off road capabilities (well as far as I am likely to) 4 guys all the kit and 2 dogs in comfort across the top of the Woodhead, chuffed.

Oh it also runs on LPG so a 500+ mile round trip to the Woodhead Pass at 75p a litre cost just over £75 for this car and it's capability that is a bargain.

Long may it continue

• 2 weeks later...

ive only recently bought mine, about 4 months ago, its a 2009 SE SD...

ive put a "probitz" box on it, and it does about 30 mpg around town now, compared to 24 before....

Very impressed so far, although the !Removed! heater fan has packed up now....

i changed the tyres from run flats to Diamaris...much smoother....they cost £900....

im hoping to tour europe for 6 weeks in may 2013, and were gonna film the whole thing....should be fun....

ive only recently bought mine, about 4 months ago, its a 2009 SE SD...

ive put a "probitz" box on it, and it does about 30 mpg around town now, compared to 24 before....

Very impressed so far, although the !Removed! heater fan has packed up now....

i changed the tyres from run flats to Diamaris...much smoother....they cost £900....

im hoping to tour europe for 6 weeks in may 2013, and were gonna film the whole thing....should be fun....

Sounds like fun dude.

Post vid up here if you can.

I've had my 05/05 E53 3.0d for about 1 1/2 years .

The Missus had always wanted one (she's had 2 E39 Tourings before) and I got offered this

one for a snip by a friend .

First thing I had done was a re-map (I've had 2 other Diesels re-mapped before so know good results

can be had) 272PS 525NM and an improvement in MPG too .

On the usual school/town run it's getting 28/29MPG , on a run at steady 150KMH seen 39.2MPG .

I've seen 230KMH on the clock , that's plenty fast enuff for a 4x4 . It'll cruise easily at 200KMH .

Also had auto-lock at 10KMH engaged and when locked/unlocked it bleeps .

Only major problem I've had was the starter motor (a common fault because they're not Bosch but

Magneti Marelli !!)

Missus loves it , and I must say I enjoy driving it too .

Oops, flaming laptop is too sensitive, sent post half way through!!

Anyway, X5 3.0dSport, unbelievable!!, what a car, it has been remapped (invoice in file for £500) dont know what standard is like but this thing is amazing, feels almost as fast as my sorely missed M-tech 328i, and 31mpg!! 300miles home and no aches pains or tiredness, magic!

Sorry for drooling and slevvering but I already love it. Pete, I am in the Highlands too so know exactly what you mean, wouldn't have dreamed of taking 328 out in even really cold weather, never mind snow, it went into the garage every October to April!!

Looking forward to seeing how X5 behaves. Already bought waxoyl and underseal so full home service and new tyres will be next,

cheers crofter

• 1 month later...

4 months and 3600 miles have flown by, still really pleased with the X5 the suspension creaks were the dreaded rear subframe bushes on their way. So I had them upgraded to the poly bush replacements, so no more creaks and groans.

I can't get on with the in car phone/nav/TV in the car. I keep forgetting to put the divert code into my moblie and the cost of upgrading to BMW bluetooth is just silly, so I am going for an aftermarket replacement with it all in the headunit I have seen and tried one and was very impressed.

So anyone want the old system PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

OK the headunit is swapped Wow, what a difference the biggest and best improvement for me is the bluetooth (includes phonebook transfer) no more fiddling with divert codes. Just get in start up and go, the unit it's self has Radio, GPS (really excellent full European 3D maps and post code search speed camera and speed alerts) DVB TV, I-pod connection, plus it plays CD's DVD's has USB and memory card inputs (tried but not used) sound quality is great in all functions and steering wheel functions are retained.

Just to much to mention really and all for less than the cost of upgrading the BMW phone system to bluetooth.

The car is still going well, I have been onto a number of shoots recently where mud has been a big problem but the X5 has got us around and not got stuck (yet), even drove around a stranded Disco (I think if I had stopped there would have been two of us) He needed two Landrovers to pull him out.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links