Battery Fun!

mr metatarsal

I suspect Europarts might have sold me a battery that dosent match my car, its the second one in a few months.They keep going flat,despite me running the car some distance daily. Any one know if its a possibility that the battery they have given me is the wrong ampage or some thing like that and it cant handle the cars electrical needs? Strangely it is too small for the bay in the boot,the thing that should hold it in place does not come down far enough to hold it in place,is this a clue,ie i need a more manly battery? All help and comments welcome,thanks.

your battery should be a 12v 65amp/h, size does not matter, Check leads, something is draining the power or your battery is not being charged enough. Hpoe this helps

On the 740i at the moment is 063 Battery which is suitable for Astra`s and such like, the battery is fine however due to all the leccys on the car it drains it in about 3 days, if the car is used(when it works) lucky to get 5 days!, put the same battery back onto the Astra and it works fine!

this is getting even more confusing, Europe parts seem to believe that is the correct spec battery for the car. But that is just the opinion of the guy on the parts desk-based what it says on his own website. In other words he doesn't know, so I rang BMW. My local dealer (helpful as ever) or should I say the guy on his parts desk, at first he said 70 A is fine, then he decided that as the car is a six cylinder and an automatic, don't ask me why. It may need a battery with 80 A. Basically I need to find out what the car came with from the factory. BMW can help me out with this as long as I'm willing to pay a pound a minute for their advice over the phone. Can anybody point me in the right direction of a website or something similar that may have this information on it, as I'm having trouble finding one. I repeat once again, no power is draining from the car anywhere, but once you've had a bit of cold weather, or the car has stood for more than one day it won't start. My instincts tell me the battery is too puny for the car, but hey what do I know I'm only a monkey!

you'd think so wouldn't you, unfortunately they list a 70 and an 80. I'm beginning to suspect that the 70 is for the four-cylinder cars and the 80 for the six cylinder cars. I've also just noticed, that the battery I was sold by Euro parts as being the correct one for my vehicle, has an interesting note in information about the battery on their website. It says this battery is normally recommended for smaller engined vehicles. Quite what they mean by a smaller engined vehicle I am unsure of. But mines got a six cylinder 2.8 and I don't think this qualifies as a smaller engine. So guys what do you reckon about that one? I'm just about to e-mail Euro parts and try to elicit a response from them, as I don't think their parts guy has a clue what he's talking about.

Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes Photo 01 Battery, manuf.: Exide (Warranty Only) 70 AH 1 61217553952 $198.00 01 Original BMW battery, filled 80AH 1 61218376451 01 Original BMW battery, filled 70AH 1 61218381730 New generation battery (AGM): for

vehicles with critical charge level,

the new generation battery can be

installed. 01 Original BMW AGM-battery 70 AH 1 61216924021 $399.68 01 Original BMW AGM-battery 80 AH 1 61217555719

Ive mentioned my mammoth battery on here a few times now,but finally took a pic of it,never goes flat even with all 3 screens playing,plus amp etc etc and always starts 1st time all the time :) here it is .............the previous one was half the size

post-688-0-04174000-1334178687_thumb.jpg

I have a small one too MrMetatarsal =(

I filled the gap by squeezing down a 1liter oil bottle =p ( bodge it 'n' leg it )

Iv got twin subs, 3 amps and a bass cap with a screen too but iv never had a problem with this battery.

If a battery is drained completely its next to impossible to recharge it again

Check leads on the alternater or even test the alternator by driving with the battery terminal off ( after starting it of course ) tis how i discovered mine was dodgy. Have lights on and see if that dim and get brighter when revving.

Or if uv a volt/amp meter test both battery and alternater whilst car is running.

If to the top guys on here think this sounds a load of rubbish, im sowie, im still young and learning =p

Im not taking the mick...

Because this happened to me when i got my first Bmw.

But do u have any sat navs, road angels or phone chargers plugged in to the cig lighter?

All my other cars cig lighters turned off with the ignition but they dont on the bmw's...

Mine continued to charge my satnav and roadangel which got me stuck at Oxford Services once.

mine is the 325 6 cyl and mine is an 80a n never had a prob talked to mate who runs banner batterys uk and he said u need an 80a / 90a battery cause of the size of the engine

I think your correct,i just need some proof now to hit europarts with any ideas?

mmmmmmm,Still talking to euro parts about a refund. First email said they would replace,then when i asked for my petrol costs,they said they would get back to me.

Beware large motor owners, they sell batteries that aint fit for purpose!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links