G4VHD

Common Problems With Your E46

Not long bought an E46 Touring 318i 2 litre auto to replace my E36 318i saloon, the engine light was on and i read the codes and cleared them it says that the emission valves are deteriorated :/ the car does seem to smoke a bit while driving... any help would be greatly appreciated... Cheers guys

14 hours ago, Rhowells89 said:

Not long bought an E46 Touring 318i 2 litre auto to replace my E36 318i saloon, the engine light was on and i read the codes and cleared them it says that the emission valves are deteriorated :/ the car does seem to smoke a bit while driving... any help would be greatly appreciated... Cheers guys

Mine is a 1995 e320i m52 so different engine you need a friendly BMW trained mechanic on a Sunday morning !

Good Luck !

Where did you pick up on the "emission valves are deteriorated" bit? Sounds a bit complicated.
Usually with smoke in the exhaust line, you should think about burning oil.
I'm not familiar with this problem but that would be my starting point guess.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

UPDATE... Since clearing the faults the light came back on with the codes P110d (throttle position sensor) and P 0221 (catalyst system fault)

The smoke is white and smells of un burnt  fuel, and upon clearing the codes again it has gone into limp home mode :/

Latest problems at 215,000 on the 330d.....

Had to replace all pulleys & tensioners plus remove those pesky rattling brake disc covers. Sorted a diesel leak from an injector . Full service & she`s fine again.

Another garage visit...This time the 330Ci needed a new drop link & more importantly an expansion tank.

Hope  that's it for a while lol.................

I've had a 2002 BMW 320D for 3 years and the only problem I've had is problem starting if you didn't use the car every day, this fault was sorted which was a dribble back on #4 injector. I am having a problem with a set of xenon head lights I am fitting from a 2001 E46 touring. they work fine without the engine running but flash on and off when you start the engine.  

Hi, I am new to the forum,  I got a 2004 320d msport, it was not starting each time, I thought naively it was just because of the cold. After lots of googling I ended up replacing the middle green relay under the glovebox.  There are 2 on the right and one on the left, so of the 3 green ones the middle one. It was just very worn, see the pictures. This fixed the issue, I would try this first for anyone who has starting issues with the same car. Low cost part. 

20181226_093702.jpg

20181226_093716.jpg

Hi all. Has anyone yet figured out why the E46's suffer with misting around the power steering fluid reservoir ?

There is a small hole on the finger grip edge of the screw cap but I am not so sure that that is where the power steering fluid is exiting the chamber/reservoir.

Also while I am on the site - why is it that the E46 Convertible marque owners have not been warned that parking facing uphill is not a brilliant idea because of the inability for water to escape out of the drainage channels ?