X3 diesel fumes in cabin

Mikey 44

Just bought a 2019 plate diesel X3 ex demonstrator with 1400 miles on the clock.  From the start there was a background smell of diesel in the cabin but during the first long run from Cheshire to Kent, the smell became very strong when slowing down on motorways to turn off for Service Stations.  Coming to a halt and opening the doors  it was like gas was being fed into the cabin it was so bad.  It’s going back for an inspection but I have two questions.  Has any other BMW diesel owner experienced diesel odour in the cabin (which did not come from standing in diesel at the filling station !).  Secondly, the dealer service manager claims that it is quite normal to have diesel fumes in the cabin for about the first 5000 miles of a new vehicle.  This does not sound right to me but I am very happy to be corrected.  Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this problem.

Morning Mike 

Welcome to the Forum

They must be a special breed Service Managers !!! Actually if I could smell anything but new carpet and leather I would be (a) very worried and (b) very angry, a £40k car that smells of fuel inside is "normal" is he mad. Ask him to show you another one

I did read of an issue with diesel inlet manifolds that allowed fumes into the cabin but that was a few years back now so wouldn't think that is the issue. They need to fix it fast, give you a replacement if they can't or your money back.

Good Luck

Dave

Hi Greydog

Thanks for your comments.  I have two BMW dealerships near me and both are owned by the same major Motor Group.  Having had many dealings with both over the last 10 years I suspect the Service Managers have been put through the same training and regrettably I don't think being straight with customers about technical problems is high on their list.  I wonder does BMW UK realise the damage that these cavalier service managers do to their reputation.  I have raised a couple of previous problems with them but they seem too scared to want to get involved.  I understand the attitude having worked in an industry that sold through dealerships and we, as the manufacturer, would endeavour to steer clear of issues involving our dealers.  Thanks for your input.

• Haha 1

Morning Mike

Hopefully they will sort it at inspection. If not I would email/write to the service manager that fuel vapour burnt or un-burnt inside is (a) a health hazard and (b) Dangerous, ask for a time scale to have it fixed. Let him know that you find it totally unacceptable and explain that if they cant or wont fix it you want either a replacement or refund.

As an aside my brother inlaw is now on his 3rd 5 series diesel each brought from new his cars have never smelt of anything but "new car " carpet and leather.

I know catalysts can stink initially but that is more a rotten egg small from memory

Good Luck

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hello Mike,

Did this get resolved? I only ask as my X3, a 69 plate, 3.0d also produced a gas smell on slowing, stopping and reversing. The service team had it in numerous times and they also said it would disapear on 5000 miles. After 5000 miles it still hadn't gone. They then said 8000 miles. Thing is a bought this as a factory order and on a PCP over 8000 miles per annum. I think it is unreasonable to inhale this gas for a year not knowing what it is and for my children to inhale it as well. Any information would be appreciated.

Mr M

Morning Welcome to the Forum

Totally bonkers that your dealer thinks it is OK !! I know it is quite common for new catalysers to smell until they have been through a few heat cycles (rotten egg smell) but often only smelt outside the car and when fully up to temp and stopped.

I would be escalating this by involving BMW UK and printing a copy of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Both stipulate that " Goods to be of satisfactory quality" I think you have an argument that you have been reasonable in allowing time for the smell to dissipate. I would then tell the MD, Sales Director, Service Director in writing/email (copy BMW UK Customer Services) that you want a clear course of action and time scale to resole the issue. With a car of BMW "perceived quality" the current situation is unacceptable, basically fix it or supply a replacement

Good Luck 

Dave

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...