Newbie Here With A Couple Of Probs

Molbyj

I've just posted this in the wrong section, so here we go again.

Hi, I'm Ross and new to the bmw world. I have recently purchased a x3 2.0d sport and have since found a couple of issues.

-I'm getting a rumbling at low revs eg when I'm pulling away. I've read that it could be a tyre issue and have noticed my front near side tyre is a lot lower that the offside and so thinking of buying a new front pair ( dunlop 235/50/18 sport 01s I think).

-I've also had a couple of codes come up(engine management light) theses were air mass, exhaust back pressure and partulate filter. I've been advised to change the air flow meter 1st. Is this good advise and where is the best place to find a Bosch one?

Many thanks

P.s enjoying the drive even with the faults.

Hello Ross, and welcome to our community! :)

Hopeeeefully I can help.

I defo need to know more about this rumbling. Describe in more detail what it sounds like? Is it present when the car is stationary or ONLY when moving (at low RPM)?, Any vibrations felt within the cab at all?

This bad tire of yours on one side. Is it even ware across the whole surface or is it more worn on the inner/outer sides? Does changing the PSI of THAT wheel effect the "Rumbling" noise at all? This car being new to you, it MIGHT be that the previous owner has changed the opposite tire on that axle recently but leaving this one?

These fault codes your getting. You might get away with a good clean! :P

You can clean the MAF yourself. I'm yet to have the honor of cleaning one from an X3 but any other MAF I've cleaned is just a case of using a cotton bud, some Carb-Cleaner and a gentle touch. Usually does a good job. MAF is easily identifiable as it sits between the air filter and the inlet manifold. All the respiratory components are subject to quite a bit of Blow-By in Diesel engines due to the higher compression. Oil gets everywhere! :lol: They look like this:

l_fFKp.jpg

Well... Similar I guess. A MAFs a MAF. The price of a brand new BOSCH MAF will burn a hole in your wallet so lets hope the cleaning works :)

There is a way your Mechanic can test the back pressure by using the scanner and turning the engine on and off to compare the atmospheric pressure with the pressure the engine is producing. Again, sensor might just need a good clean!

The particulate sensor. SOME of them can be cleaned and some are made disposable after 20k. I have NOOO idea about the one in the X3. Maybe Dabs will know?

Hope this helps bud, keep us in the loop.

Daz

Thanks for the welcoming and replies guys.

With regards to the mechanical 'rumble', I'm currently having 2 new front tyres as well as front and rear tracking adjusted. The rumble only happens at low revs, I drove it around last night but it seems to do it randomly?

Lets hope the tyres/tracking has something to do with it as I've heard these can cause transfer box issues?

As for the maf I was under the impression you shouldn't clean them? I'm more than happy to just thought it shouldn't be done. Could the maf be the cause of the other faults coming up?

Will try and have a look for and clean the naff today.

Thanks again for the replies, will let you know the tyre and tracking outcome.

Ross

Thanks for the welcoming and replies guys.

With regards to the mechanical 'rumble', I'm currently having 2 new front tyres as well as front and rear tracking adjusted. The rumble only happens at low revs, I drove it around last night but it seems to do it randomly?

Lets hope the tyres/tracking has something to do with it as I've heard these can cause transfer box issues?

As for the maf I was under the impression you shouldn't clean them? I'm more than happy to just thought it shouldn't be done. Could the maf be the cause of the other faults coming up?

Will try and have a look for and clean the naff today.

Thanks again for the replies, will let you know the tyre and tracking outcome.

Ross

Get the track rod ends done before you track her mate :P they are fairly cheap and will most likely be the REASON you need tracking done in the first place. If your a spanner savvy you can do them yourself before you pay to have it tracked.

AS for the MAF, it really is down to opinion on whether you can clean it or not. Some people will say No, some people will say Yes. I say Yes because of my own experiences. I've cleaned the MAF on all my cars as a precaution and I have had no problems. If you look at it this way, if the scanner is reporting a problem with the MAF than you cleaning it and making it worse isnt the worst thing that can happen as you would of needed to change it anyway :lol:. Proving that you have looked for vacuum leaks around it to make sure it is defo the problem then Clean away matey.

If you NOT suppose to clean it, then this product is useless :P

421026370_xRgKc-M.jpg

And you are very welcome for the warm welcome and help :)

Daz

Tracking has already been done unfortunately and was out, tyres changes but the mechanical rumble is still there.

Finally able to get the maf off but unable to clean or even see the elements to clean, just ended up spraying some cleaner through it. Looks like ill have to buy one. Will check the fault codes tomorrow to see if I've cleaned it?

Back to the drawing board.

Ta Ross.

Sitting in the car tonight with engine running, pressing and realeasing the clutchi im getting what I think is my rumble noise, been reading into this and sounds like it could be dual mass flywheel problem?! Not sure if im liking this internet malarky as I keep finfing expensive problems.

Ross

Hmm

As for that MAF, can you release the sensor/probe from the top? You know where the plug is, are there release clips there?

See how this one comes apart?:

447696d1338469055-maf-cleaning-question-maf-sensor.jpg

If your hearing the rumble when you are releasing the clutch doesn't necessarily mean DMF problem. Logically thinking, It sounds like the release bearing. DMF failure will cause vibration once applying load (going through the gears)

Hi Daz, maf hasn't got any screws etc holding it together just looks like its been pushed together but doesn't want to come apart, it's stuck solid, managed to spray cleaner through it but unsure how well it's done. Will get the faults cleared and see if it works.

I'm not getting any vibration through the gears under load. I'll probably get someone look at this soon but I'm going away for a few days so will have to update you guys when I get back.

Thanks again for the reply

Ross

Hi Daz, maf hasn't got any screws etc holding it together just looks like its been pushed together but doesn't want to come apart, it's stuck solid, managed to spray cleaner through it but unsure how well it's done. Will get the faults cleared and see if it works.

I'm not getting any vibration through the gears under load. I'll probably get someone look at this soon but I'm going away for a few days so will have to update you guys when I get back.

Thanks again for the reply

Ross

Keep us posted mate and good work on the MAF. If I was in that position, I would probably do the same thing.

Honestly, DMF isn't springing to mind when you told me your faults. Lets home the person you get to look at it diagnoses it first time :rolleyes:

Daz

Cleaning maf didn't work, so will have to buy one. At £163 delivered for a Bosch one they don't come cheap. Unless anyone knows of cheaper (must be genuine/Bosch)

Had someone listen to the noise (although very briefly) he's guessing thrust bearing? Or misaligned prongs that come out of the clutch plate? Either way its a gear box out job:( Expecting our first in feb so this isn't going to happen for a while.

Ill just get the maf sorted and running properly first. Do I need to clean anything else as the maf has been running rough (assuming it is the problem)?

Thanks again

Ross.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Carefully look at the copper sensors in the maf (front n back) if all looks fine i.e. no scratches or breaks then I'd assume it would be okay and the problem is further along... As for the rumble, is it ONLY at standstill and does it get worse or better if you just rest your foot on clutch pedal ? ...

Hi, the way this maf is designed, you can't actually see any element. The front of the maf (opposite end in picture) has a cross hatch pattern on it, angled at 45degrees so you can't see anything through it. Even holding it up the the light.

The rumble just sounds worse when you hold it at the 'bite point'. Noticed it initially reversing slowly out of my drive way as well as driving slowly in.

Thanks, Ross.

Another chuffing problem!!! My wife has just gone to go to work this morn, tried to start it but its just clicking with DDE is flashing up! Could it be anything to do with low temperatures we're experiencing?

Loosing faith in BMW fast.

Ross

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links