New Member Looking For Guidance

pmmcbl

Hello all.

I have finally decided to buy a BMW 5-Series E39 530i Auto. So before I jump and buy one I have decided to join the best group to gather all the relevant information before the big day.

Once I get the car I will then be able to share feedback and return the favour which I hope you will be able to share assistance.

I will be searching the forum for general "what to look for" when buying a E39. I know that people normally only write on forums when they have a problem. I understand that but would like to have an idea to assist my search,

Thank you

Pedro

Are you sitting down?

The E39 is without question on of the best cars BMW has ever made, with everyone being short sighted about the cost of big petrol cars you will get a total bargin. My E39 has clocked just over 400k and has only just started to need TLC, personally I am a fan of manuals not Autos but this is each to their own.

Apart from the typical used car problems, head gasket, wobbles in the steering or bangs going over speed bumps(all cheap and easy to fix) etc the only thing that seems to be hitting the old girls at the minute is a bit of rust. Check around the boot lid,both on the lid itself and where it closes along with this they also have a habbit of rotting around the fuel cap. I Must stress here that mine had done HUGE mileage and is a early car which has lived near the sea! however we are finding they are rusting around the rear jacking points(photo below) so be sure to have a good poke around.

However I cannot fault mine at all, it is a fantastic car that just works no questions asked! if you see any one for sale on the internet feel free to post them up here

579074_10152257735355427_1667358725_n.jpg

Thank you guys. I have started making a list of what to look for when searching for a nice e39. There are some scary things that can go wrong but they are worst cases. I will start searching around my area before going nationwide. There isn't much out there at the moment. Thank you

I've had my own E39 and honestly, I have nothing bad to say against them.

There are two kinds of E39's out there. Ones that have been looked after, and Ones that have not. I would purchase Ian's 400k E39 over MOST 100K E39s on the market right now so it is important for you to take Ian's advise and post the link to the ones you find on the internet that you think you might buy. That way, we can all have a look and give you honest advice

Please keep us posted

Daz

Thanks for the good feedback. Once I find something decent enough I will add the link on here. Getting there with what I need to look for when looking around. Once you read in more detail certain things are not that scary. The pulleys and belts appear together with the water pump appear to be a key area to look much closer.

If one is for sale localish to me I am happy to take a look.Whats the budget? I will keep my eyes open

Same here, im located in Walsall West Midlands.

I'd be happy to go take a peek at one for you.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links