Newbie With Worrys, Need Some Help Plz.

steve69

hiya all,

i hope someone can help me here please, i have had a quick read through and im not sure if ive found the anwser but here goes.

i had to buy a motor and came across my 316 which is a lovely motor, now im not sure what model it is but im guessing its a E46

i think but not sure on that score. its a 316 on a r plate on a 1997.

now the worries i have is the front suspension, when going round corners the mud flaps are scaping the floor when going round

not just sharp corners but what i would call just normal corners at normal speeds. this also happens if you go over a bumpy road too.

i have to say im a little worried about it cos it goes right through me when i hear it. like i said i have had a quick look round

here under the common problems and dont know if im looking in the right place but i was wondering if it could be the control arm,

i also think it could be the shocks or springs. she dont look low when looking at her though and she hasnt been lowered either.

she has done 124k and i see the off side shock is a little wet giving me the impression that it could be the shocks, but i havnt a clue

not with never owning a bmw before.

see i had to buy a car in a rush as we had a motabilty car before but that had to go back after my wife passed away last month so as

you can imaging i had to get one quick and this motor really did pull at the heart strings as though to speak.

anyways im just worried about the front suspention and was wondering if anyone could help. i need to get it fixed asap because i dont feel its

right, and im the sort of person that likes to fix it before it goes wrong, plus i got a trip to stafford tomorrow and im starting to

think twice about it. dont get me wrong on a straight road ( donna laugh) shes a nice ride but just want her sorted.

sorry for the waffleing on but need the help, if i have forgoten somthing in my attempt to explain it then please

tell me.

cheers

steve.

hiya dabsy,

had a look at the springs and they look ok to be honest. im quite sure it hasnt been lowered either, but as far as the bump stops no i havent had a

look at the to be honest as i know nothing about these motors. but will try and find out where they are.if it is them are they a big job or not.

thanks for that, its much appreciated thanks.

its mainly on the drivers side but it does happen on both fronts to be honest, but not as bad on the passengers side. but thanks for the help.

Guest Mister Dabsy

It still could be that the spring itself has become "Tired" and lost its properties...

Does it sit lower on one side?

Also have a real good look at the linkages/anti-roll especially, as if these are worn to excess then you may notice too much travel on the suspension...

Have you bounced each of the front corners to notice differences?

i have bounced the front end and its the normal down up and back to postion.

it dont seem to be lower on the one side either, only done by the finger test though, but will have a good look at the anti roll bar though, thanks for that mate.

i was wondering if the springs might be a little shot but just didnt know where to start. they seem to be ok as far as the bounce test goes. but saying

that we are talkign about me now lol.

thanks again and will have a look asap.

it shouldnt hurt it to much if i have to drive her though would it, if i take it steady like, cos in if i take it steady then its a nice smooth ride.

might just have to take her to garage if i cant sort it out myself, which i was hoping to be able to do to be honest.

cheers again.

Guest Mister Dabsy

If it is sitting level (Like BMW's will in any case) I would suspect the anti-roll area of things, as when you turn, its job is to keep the opposite wheel firmly on the ground and it should not let the outer turning corner drop like you are describing...

To sum up, shocks or anti-roll !!

cheers dabsy, much appreciated thanks mate.

i have got to say with the steering thinking on it now she dont seem as tight as i would of thought. dont know if that would have anything

to do with it too. dont get me wrong shes not all over the place but not what im used to.

so with the parts, just to make sure i know what im looking for, is she a E46 then.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Nah, stick with it pal, then you know it'll be right after the work is done. B)

Maybe when they explain whats wrong, fix her yourself (with our help, of course) !!

ummmm this is starting to sound expensive lol.

but thank you all for your help though, it is very much appreciated ta.

just got to find a decent garage to go to, dont really want to go to a kwikfit or something like that.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links