So I had my timing chain done last year in December 2020 since then the car is really been sluggish I took the car back the in the same week as it was using a lot of diesel and the mechanic had a quick look under the bonnet to check that all the fuel system was fitted correctly (it was)

so anyway a year later and the lack of power has gotten worse inbetween the time of me having the chain done I have replaced the turbo (original was fine) and i have changed the fuel filter and still no luck recently I have been having fault codes related to boost pressure sensor, dpf, and other faults which i will post a screen shot of I have gone the ISTA+/D and I calculated a test plan on the dpf and checked the back pressure using ISTA and its well within the parameters my anti shudder valve has failed to shut the engine off i will post the faults below hoping someone can shed some light on this I am going to clean the air intake manifold and the ports Im just hoping when my engine was fitted with a new timing chain it wasn't slighty off because after picked up the car it made a awful noise on the exhaust side of the engine and sounded like something was grinding which happened a couple of times on 3 separate occasions within 2 months after having the chain replaced it hasn't happened since though 

DDE FAULTS 2022.png

engine speed variation not ok.png

airmass pressure too high.png

boost pressure.png

throttle valve.png

backpressure.png

Bit of a Loss here Dan

If you had the timing chain changed and in your post you say you had a "Grinding Noise" why on earth keep using the car it should have gone straight back ??

Has the timing been checked ? are the swirl flaps still all there? I fear that as you have tried to fix things yourself whoever did the chain is off the hook.

So back to the beginning Carefully check the timing chains and tensioners are all in place and working as they should. There are two timing chains upper and lower were both changed? Or did they simply break into the top chain and wind a new chain in locking it off with a chain joining link? If that was the case then it is very possible that the chain could have slipped? 

All the ISTA test plans in the world will not fix mechanical issues.

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 7:57 AM, Greydog said:

Bit of a Loss here Dan

If you had the timing chain changed and in your post you say you had a "Grinding Noise" why on earth keep using the car it should have gone straight back ??

Has the timing been checked ? are the swirl flaps still all there? I fear that as you have tried to fix things yourself whoever did the chain is off the hook.

So back to the beginning Carefully check the timing chains and tensioners are all in place and working as they should. There are two timing chains upper and lower were both changed? Or did they simply break into the top chain and wind a new chain in locking it off with a chain joining link? If that was the case then it is very possible that the chain could have slipped? 

All the ISTA test plans in the world will not fix mechanical issues.

Dave

hi Dave so I've come to discover that the grinding noise wasn't actually a grinding noise but a exhaust manifold leak so I'm on route to fixing that I have also removed the air intake manifold to check for cracks the manifold itself is in good shape but I found a swirl flap had started to become loose so i've removed the swirl flaps all together and ive cleaned the air intake manifold as well as the intake valves I'm waiting for a delete kit to arrive in the post I have also removed and cleaned the egr valve and the throttle valve (anti shudder valve) ....the permanent fault code I have now is the boost pressure sensor (map sensor) so im going to replace that as well so once I have fixed the above I will give you an update hopefully everything goes well 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, Greydog said:

👍 Great news Dan hope it all comes together

Dave

Hi Dave so I have changed the 320D air intake manifold for a 318D manifold (same manifold but without the swirl flaps from factory) its had new seals and I've cleaned the intake valves using carb cleaner the car sounds a hell of a lot better now its much quieter and the pull is better than it was and its a lot more stable over the entire rev range I have fitted a new MAP sensor (boost pressure sensor) and replaced the anti shudder valve and so far so good I did do some live readings on the car and found that the turbo actuator isn't performing as it should luckily I have a spare one so I'm going to fit that and ill update you again... exhaust manifold isn't leaking either which is a bonus 🙂 

3 hours ago, Destroyer-Dan said:

Hi Dave so I have changed the 320D air intake manifold for a 318D manifold (same manifold but without the swirl flaps from factory) its had new seals and I've cleaned the intake valves using carb cleaner the car sounds a hell of a lot better now its much quieter and the pull is better than it was and its a lot more stable over the entire rev range I have fitted a new MAP sensor (boost pressure sensor) and replaced the anti shudder valve and so far so good I did do some live readings on the car and found that the turbo actuator isn't performing as it should luckily I have a spare one so I'm going to fit that and ill update you again... exhaust manifold isn't leaking either which is a bonus 🙂 

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED !!!!

So I have replaced the actuator and it turns out the actuator on the car wasn't set up properly so I swapped it with the one I have as a spare and now the car goes like stink 🙂 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links