Wheel and tyre change

Emmo

I am fed up with continuous problems with my low profile wheels/tyres, spending a fortune on replacements when I go over the smallest of pothole - with barely an inch of rubber between road and wheel rim. I have 19" wheels at the moment and thought I could replace them with 17" which would give a much bolder tyre (preferably not low profile). Any advice would be helpful as to what to look for in wheel width and what sized tyres I would need. I have staggered wheels at present, would this be necessary with the replacements?

Also, would this be classed as a modification with regards to my insurance? Thanks in advance...

Martin

Morning Martin

Sounds like you have had a torrid time on our wonderful roads

First your staggered wheels are more for looks than a necessity so you can fit the same size wheels/tyres front and rear, if you want to maintain the current looks you may need spacers at the rear to achieve the full arch look the staggered set up does. Also make sure the offset is correct you can find it stamped on the inside of your OEM set

Wheel Tyre sizes recommended for your car are as follows 

225/35R20 90Y

225/40R19 89Y

225/45R18 91Y

225/50R17 94W

The above are Front axel sizes but could be used front and rear to achieve a square set up, also remember that the standard fit is Run Flat you can safely fit Non Run Flat tyres to a Run Flat rim but will need to make some provision for a puncture (my X5 with 20" staggered set up has has a skinny emergency spare but I carry tyre goo and a small compressor) If replacing Wheels remember a non runflat rim can't safely take a runflat tyre. Also make sure the offset is correct you can find it stamped on the inside of your OEM set

If you maintain a staggered set up the rears would be as follows

255/30R20 92Y

255/35R19 92Y

255/40R18 95Y

255/45R17 98W

Dave

19 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Martin

Sounds like you have had a torrid time on our wonderful roads

First your staggered wheels are more for looks than a necessity so you can fit the same size wheels/tyres front and rear, if you want to maintain the current looks you may need spacers at the rear to achieve the full arch look the staggered set up does. Also make sure the offset is correct you can find it stamped on the inside of your OEM set

Wheel Tyre sizes recommended for your car are as follows 

225/35R20 90Y

225/40R19 89Y

225/45R18 91Y

225/50R17 94W

The above are Front axel sizes but could be used front and rear to achieve a square set up, also remember that the standard fit is Run Flat you can safely fit Non Run Flat tyres to a Run Flat rim but will need to make some provision for a puncture (my X5 with 20" staggered set up has has a skinny emergency spare but I carry tyre goo and a small compressor) If replacing Wheels remember a non runflat rim can't safely take a runflat tyre. Also make sure the offset is correct you can find it stamped on the inside of your OEM set

If you maintain a staggered set up the rears would be as follows

255/30R20 92Y

255/35R19 92Y

255/40R18 95Y

255/45R17 98W

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I got rid of run flats about two years ago (a good decision I reckon) and like you carry a skinny spare and a compressor / goo. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'full arch look' and would appreciate you explaining this further please. I'm in a quandary at the moment whether to change the wheels on my 3 Series or go for another car like the X1 with 'normal' tyres. I love the 3 Series don't get me wrong and with the roof down on a hot day it's great but being low down my wife (and me sometimes) has difficulty getting in and out. On top of that, as I play drums, it's a jig saw getting the kit in and every seat has something on it leaving no room for passengers!

Martin

Hi Martin 

Currently your wider rear set of wheels will have a different Offset to the front bringing the tyre wall near to the wing outside edge. Put a front wheel on the rear and while it will fit the tyre wall will be set back from the wing edge inside the wheel arch. The simple solution is to fit spacers at the rear to achieve the same visual effect.

Hope this makes sense

Dave

8 hours ago, Emmo said:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I got rid of run flats about two years ago (a good decision I reckon) and like you carry a skinny spare and a compressor / goo. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'full arch look' and would appreciate you explaining this further please. I'm in a quandary at the moment whether to change the wheels on my 3 Series or go for another car like the X1 with 'normal' tyres. I love the 3 Series don't get me wrong and with the roof down on a hot day it's great but being low down my wife (and me sometimes) has difficulty getting in and out. On top of that, as I play drums, it's a jig saw getting the kit in and every seat has something on it leaving no room for passengers!

Martin

Drumkit = x5. 👍🏻 

I used to have to gig with an e36… I feel your pain. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links