removing inner door panel whilst door closed?

Afternoon all. Has anyone ever removed the door panel from front passenger side whilst the door is closed? My door won't open from the outside or inside and i need to have a look inside to see what the issue is. Removing the panel with door open is easy enough but with it closed its going to be a different kettle of fish. Has anyone got any neat tricks or tips to get it off without breaking anything? MOT is fast approaching so ideally i need this issue squared away before the garage will have to get involved.

Thanks,

Mike

1 hour ago, Matelot Mike X5 56' said:

Afternoon all. Has anyone ever removed the door panel from front passenger side whilst the door is closed? My door won't open from the outside or inside and i need to have a look inside to see what the issue is. Removing the panel with door open is easy enough but with it closed its going to be a different kettle of fish. Has anyone got any neat tricks or tips to get it off without breaking anything? MOT is fast approaching so ideally i need this issue squared away before the garage will have to get involved.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't know if the 56 plate is the same as my 55. But the panel is held on by 4 screws. 3 at the top one at the lower pocket. If you remove the screws the top will then pull of the door as you do not need to lift up as on other cars. This should allow you to put your arm in and activate the lock. If the linkage has broke. Unusual for both means of opening to break. Is the seat belt jammed in the door that's usually what happens . 

Not an uncommon problem Mike, water gets onto the actual mechanism and it rusts and sticks happened to mine a couple of years ago.

First you are going to sacrifice some of the push clips at the bottom of the door card so buy some as spares, then as Philipp says take out the top screws and pull it away (remember one screw is hidden behind the airbag logo) unbolt the airbag DO NOT DISCONNECT WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION  I didn't take mine out just let it dangle, feel for the electrical connections and unplug them now peel carefully the vapor barrier try not to damage it. I then made a special tool (wire coat hanger with about 10mm bent at 90deg at the end) window down and you can feed the tool down looking behind the vapor barrier with a torch to the lock mechanism and work it manually it may take some force (mine did) once you have the door open remove the door card completely. I then doused the mechanism with penetrating oil and kept working it manually until it was free, Then I smothered it in spray lithium grease and worked it more all in took about 1 1/2 hours and touch wood no issues for the last 2 years.

What ever you do don't disconnect the airbag unless you disconnect the battery first otherwise airbag light will come on and you will need to have it reset before mot. I usually let it dangle but you can support it with string 

Thanks for the replies fellas,

I wish i had just jammed my seatbelt in it but unfortunately not lol. So you reckon it has just seized up? i hope it has. And when u mention lubricating and working the mechanism, is this from behind the vapor barrier or from where the latch contacts with the car? (if you had the door open and looking at it side on). Going back to removing the door card, how do i pry the sides away when they are tucked nice and neatly away? Do i just lever it open as much as i can from the top?

Mike

Morning Mike 

Yes peel back the vapor barrier and look in with a torch at the closing mechanism you will see where the operating cable and rods are. I used my coat hanger tool to hook under and pull up then re position and push down to work the lock first full actuation opened the door, that allowed the whole panel to be removed and better access. Just a case then of making sure it was really freed up then smothering it in spray grease my thinking being it would lubricate and repel water. When putting it all back make sure the vapor barrier is stuck down and has no tears or rips mine did, someone had been there before. I repaired mine with gaffer tape.

Forgot to say the sides and bottom of the door card are held by push clips, when the top is free slide your hand down and pop them out I had three broken when I got the card off whether by me or a previous visit by someone else which is why I said get some spares I got mine from Ebay. There is also the inner door handle cable to unhook and the connector for the inner door handle illumination, top done. At the bottom front you have speaker connections and the under door light just take your time and it isn't difficult just fiddly 

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon, 

Should have asked this before i went on holiday so a i can hit the ground running when i came back but i was too excited. Anyways, ordered all my bits and bobs should be here today/tomorrow. My final question is (hopefully!), do i have the window down from beginning to end or after i've taken the door card off?

Thanks again,

Mike

Right guys i'm at the point where i've meant to hook the mechanism and open the door, but it hasn't went like that. I'm stuck. Don't know whether i'm hooking the wrong bit or it just isn't working. i've hopefully attached a couple of pics. Is it any of the parts in the photos i have to hook? i'm trying to hook where the little ball socket is, well the bracket that its attached to. but i'm getting nothing. And when i operate the outside handle, it seems to be at its maximum travel (photo on the left hopefully) in the fully open position, so how can i open it when its at its most open position with th door handle? where am i going wrong? i haven't put the door panel back together just left it in a rage lol

IMG_3607.PNG

IMG_3609.PNG

Panic over, found the will to go back out and sprayed the latch with wd40, left it a few seconds to think what i was going to do next and tried the handle, opened not a problem. So got the door card off and worked and sprayed the latch until i was happy then generously applied that lithium grease greydog was on about. Its all on now and everything works (thank god). I'm half tempted to take the door cards off all the doors and lubricate the latches to prevent this happening again, because that was a pain in the !Removed!.

Thank you very much to both of you for your patience and advice

Mike