So what is this canbus system, and how do I know whether my car has one? It's a 2001 pre face lift 320D.... I'm planning on fitting the following LED lights, and I need to know whether my car will accept them or whether I will have to buy a conversion kit for it !

Just had a read and I think there is possibility it doesn't, as it says it's only mandatory for diesel cars to have them after in the EU after 2004, judging from small money saving choices from BMW (for example 1 fog light) I'm going to say it doesn't as surely it would only cost them more money however I won't hold my breath as knowing my luck it does ;p no idea how to find out though

I know, but doesn't it make the lights on the dash board come up, and apparently they flicker on start up because of the difference in power or something... No idea!

Hi Harry, it's not a major problem fitting LED lights or replacing standard bulbs with LED versions as long as they state "CANBUS ERROR FREE" on them. Yes they will flicker when you put the ignition on but that's due to the inbuilt checking system which sends several short test pulses of electric through lights etc to check the circuit is good (e.g. Not blown bulb). I've got a lot of LED replacements on my X5 and it actually looks cool at night when you turn the ignition on! Like the car is trying to communicate with Morse Code LOL! :)

Oh good! I bought a pair of error free LED's on eBay due to be delivered on Tuesday.. Hopefully they are nice (or they're going back) and I run into no problems! Seller assured they are a 'plug n play' fit

Oh good! I bought a pair of error free LED's on eBay due to be delivered on Tuesday.. Hopefully they are nice (or they're going back) and I run into no problems! Seller assured they are a 'plug n play' fit

Forgot to mention that the reason they flicker is because LED's react many times quicker than standard bulbs which also flicker when tested but so slowly you don't notice them do it! :)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links