530D Engine Swap In Another Car Anyone Done It

fordf350camper

Hi has anyone put a bmw 530d auto 2002 in another car,Ideas can the ecu be removed if stuff like door lock,air bags,.air con,lights,wipers,everythink remove apart from the engine side so it still starts,runs.I have been told the abs needs to be in contact with the engine or it will not start,can he ecu be removed or do they have to stay,I have been told that the engine needs to talk to the auto gearbox,Do you no anyone who put this kind of engine in another car and managed to wire it up thanks

Hey

The answer to your question is, Yes. IT can indeed be done and it being such a fantastic engine, it is a fantastic idea.

There are two kind of people who do this kind of job

+ People who DON'T know how to do it but really and I mean, really WANT to know how to do it

+ People who know how to do it

If you do not fall into either of those categories, you will struggle to find someone who will do such a job and if you do, it will cost you the price of a mortgage LOL

If you want to attempt such thing, We CAN help you but you need to have a good think about what you want. We can tell you all about ECU matching and getting the gauges, electrics to work but it's pointless if you do not apprehend the massive task ahead of you

Hope this helps,

Daz

Post any help you require on this thread and NOT via my inbox. Reason for this is simple. If someone ELSE needs the help/inspiration from your questions, we will together help them out aswell. Plus, There is skip-loads of talent on here besides mine so, others will step in when needed

Sharing is caring bud ^_^

Daz

Post any help you require on this thread and NOT via my inbox. Reason for this is simple. If someone ELSE needs the help/inspiration from your questions, we will together help them out aswell. Plus, There is skip-loads of talent on here besides mine so, others will step in when needed

Sharing is caring bud ^_^

Daz

thumbs-up%20boy.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1286816543227

Hi well i have the donor car complete.So the idea is to do away with as many ecu as possible.Air bags,central locking.Air con.What i want to know first of all is if these things are unplugged will the engine still run.Also will the engine run if i dont use the abs braking as again will the engine run or will it go in limp mode.What gauges can i use if i dont use the bmw one which i dont want to.So the idea is i have the bmw 530d auto.I want to keep it as auto i will find a rear axle with a similar rear axle ratio.I would like less ecus.I will have to sort out the speed sensors.Are these in the front hubs and rear to.What do they look like as i dont want to sell the parts that i will need thanks hope you can help

What i want to know first of all is if these things are unplugged will the engine still run.

Yes it will run but display error lights

Also will the engine run if i dont use the abs braking as again will the engine run or will it go in limp mode.

It will run ok

What gauges can i use if i dont use the bmw one which i dont want to.

BMW are made to run with BMW but I will research this for you

So the idea is i have the bmw 530d auto.I want to keep it as auto i will find a rear axle with a similar rear axle ratio..

Why change a diff for a similar ratio?

I would like less ecus.I will have to sort out the speed sensors.Are these in the front hubs and rear to.What do they look like as i dont want to sell the parts that i will need thanks hope you can help

Front and rear for DSC they look like this post-462-0-55729300-1360603568_thumb.png

What car are you putting the lump into?

Hi thank you for the help very greatfull. Its a 1950 american truck. I keep getting told that i will need the abs set up to make the engine work as this has the speed sensor in it as well.The reason to swap the diff is as i dont think i can use the bmw axle so small not very wide.Ford3503.jpg

At first you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

This is going to be fantastic.

The car will run without abs/speed sensors

The speed sensors are for dynamic stability control and without them the car will still run as normal mate

Some fantastic and interesting bits of kit there mate.

We are here to help anything BMW related mate so your in the right place.

The engine you have is the M57D30

If its 1998-2000 it's 181hp

If its 2000-2003 it's 190hp

I agree with Gav, Very interesting build.

It will fit but will need quite a bit of persuading. I can't see a problem with keeping it auto but if the truck uses column change, I'm not sure how you will convert the linkage. we'll work on that

First things first, You need to get to know that engine a bit better. Understand it to a point where you know whats needed and whats not. http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do Will help you with getting around the engine. Just put general research into it.

Will you be "Rebuilding" this engine before you drop it in?

Daz

Hi i am putting the engine in the first truck which is manual its the sencond one thats colume change.luckly i have a bill were the engine was rebuilt at 100.00k bills say cost 4k. I want to keep it auto.i will try and keep the rear axle then put wide wheels on it.the front at the moment is a beam axle like whats on the LDV convoy.pitty the rear axle on the bm couldnt be made widder.thanks

Hi i am putting the engine in the first truck which is manual its the sencond one thats colume change.luckly i have a bill were the engine was rebuilt at 100.00k bills say cost 4k. I want to keep it auto.i will try and keep the rear axle then put wide wheels on it.the front at the moment is a beam axle like whats on the LDV convoy.pitty the rear axle on the bm couldnt be made widder.thanks

Never tried to make an axle longer but I believe, If it CAN be done, Gav is the man to talk to about that

The BMW should have independent rear suspension so it would mean lengthening drive shafts, fitting mounting points for the diff, making new hub carriers, finding hubs to fit the carriers, etc, etc......

With regard to the auto box, you may find that you need the abs (sensors at least) for the auto to work properly as it may work on a road speed to engine speed ratio to select the correct gear as it being an 02 model it might not just require engine speed, throttle position and output shaft speed (dependent on manufacturer, both ecu and vehicle, the box will use either gearbox output shaft or wheel speed sensors to determine what gear to select).

Does the BMW box use a torque converter, like I would presume your yank tank will, if so you could see about mating the Ford torque converter to the BMW flywheel and making an adaptor plate to put the Ford box on the BMW engine that way you won't have to worry about the abs, there are ways of making the engine run without the abs but you need to be quite a good auto sparky to do it

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links