Should I Buy An X5?

grumpyoldman

I changed my E46 330ci for a 130i M Sport about 3 years ago but got stuck in the snow in 2010 and bought a cheap and cheerful Freelander for winter use.

I have begun to like the 4x4 life but not to the extent of selling the 130 so I'm thinking of getting an X5 (or maybe an X3?) for up to £7k as a third car/workhorse.

It won't get used for more than about 5k miles a year and I want the best performance I can (within reason) so am looking at 3 litre models - not concerned if petrol or diesel if chipping a diesel will help overtaking urge but I have always had an anti on diesels until now. Also not sure about turbos.

I guess the V8's are a bit silly and would cost a fortune to service.

I will use it for occasional towing my 3 bike trailer and also maybe carrying my trials bike on a rack but that bit is not a deal breaker.

Fuel consumption isn't hyper-critical as it would rarely be used for long journeys but will need to negotiate farm tracks, muddy fields and snowy conditions but not 'off road' work.

Opinions on this idea would be welcomed and advice on what to look out for bearing in mind it will probably have done 80 to 100k miles.

Are there any scary costs (ignoring tyres) compared to BMW car ownership.

I have heard negative comments on X3's compared to X5's but the X3 maybe a more sensible physical size.

I would ignore Clarkson's X3 diatribe unless others agree with him.

Thanks for trawling though this.

David.

Sorry about blue background, i cut and pasted the words and can't get rid of it.

Hi mate I was waiting to read the ransom amount at the bottom of this post

I have always had 4x4 and had the 4.6 is X5 and loved it to bits but when they start getting to the 90,000 + miles there are some common expensive issues

1 rear subframe bushes £450

2 front wishbone bushes

3 gearbox £2,000

I swopped mine for a 7 series but missed my 4x4 so bought a jeep Cherokee as well for winter

Cheers guys - refreshing unbiased opinions.

Forum members usually defend their vehicles to the hilt.

I do have a slightly ulterior motive as I would probably look to something like the X5 being my only car in 4 or 5 years time, with my wife our 'ordinary' car.

However, the gearbox cost puts me right off.

I'm not in a postition to go for a more recent model yet either so I guess i need to look elsewhere.

Is the X3 as 'bad' as they make out?

I do need to enjoy driving it.

Cheers

David.

Cheers guys - refreshing unbiased opinions.

Forum members usually defend their vehicles to the hilt.

I do have a slightly ulterior motive as I would probably look to something like the X5 being my only car in 4 or 5 years time, with my wife our 'ordinary' car.

However, the gearbox cost puts me right off.

I'm not in a postition to go for a more recent model yet either so I guess i need to look elsewhere.

Is the X3 as 'bad' as they make out?

I do need to enjoy driving it.

Cheers

David.

Its just !Removed! ugly lol

How about a manual X5? is that an option for you?

No problems with a manual Gav - would prefer it really - but don't see many around.

The 1er isn't exactly pretty from a rear view so used to it.

To be honest im not up on the X series mate.

I can only go as far as looks and the ride I had in in Prestige interiors 4.6l Carbon X5, and i loved it.

As much as Id love you to go out and buy a big 4x4 BMW (X5) A 3 would be more suited to you Id say, for the use it will get anyway.

What problems are there with the X3?

To be honest im not up on the X series mate.

I can only go as far as looks and the ride I had in in Prestige interiors 4.6l Carbon X5, and i loved it.

As much as Id love you to go out and buy a big 4x4 BMW (X5) A 3 would be more suited to you Id say, for the use it will get anyway.

hat problems are there with the X3?

It seems to get slagged off for ride and for being a 3, not a 5.

Makes initial decisions difficult so need to get out and drive both.

I brought my X5 primarily to pull a horse box and it was originally going to have low usage just like you (both my wife and I have other cars). I brought a 4.4i with LPG conversion and I have driven it almost everyday !! There goes the low usage, on the road I don't think there is any 4x4 that drives/rides better. I read the comments about the suspension bushes so had them checked and upgraded to polybushes (actually cheaper than OEM all in) I couldn't get on with the BMW in car phone (I kept forgetting to put a divert code into my mobile) so I changed the headunit I now have bluetooth DVB TV I-pod and all the other stuff for less than the cost of a BMW bluetooth upgrade.

I shoot and the X5 has carried us over some pretty snotty snowy and slippery tracks this season without once even feeling like it would get stuck.

With LPG at 74p (thats the dearest I have found on the motorway) I think it's one of the best cars I have owned.

Thanks to everyone for their help - I have now transferred this over to the X3 Club as I am convinced, subject to driving one, that a 3 litre petrol X3 is what will suit me most.

Also not so big physically, which helps.

Your comments have been really helpful and gratefully received and a pleasure to read compared to the relatively offensive abuse everyone gets from a small but persistent group on the Landyzone forum.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links