Sticky Gearstick

bonner 330ci

Any ideas? from cold the stick is stuck near 5th, when fully warm it selects back to neutral, its a bugger as when i want 3rd it will guide to 5th, 1st to 4th ect heard this maybe a bush but surlie a worn bush would give more play?? anyone else got or had this prob and had it fixed any info would be great cheers

It maybe that the linkage is warn and needs replaceing. If the leaver is not in the correct position, one of the tran mounts may of gone causing it to be at a dodgy angle. My moneys on the linkage though...

If its temp sensitive, it maaaay be worth an oil service on the tran itself

Cheers for the replys!! Once warm it does go back to normal!! When in the neutral pos pushing from left to right (as u check its not in gear for fireup) push to the left it moves smoothly but to the right towards 5th it dont feel right its not smooth like it should be its asif somthing is in the way!! I have no probs with gear changes no crunching poping out of gear and so on!! due for mot so il give the oil change in the box ago!! daz any idea what work would be involved if it were linkage?? cheers

Cheers for the replys!! Once warm it does go back to normal!! When in the neutral pos pushing from left to right (as u check its not in gear for fireup) push to the left it moves smoothly but to the right towards 5th it dont feel right its not smooth like it should be its asif somthing is in the way!! I have no probs with gear changes no crunching poping out of gear and so on!! due for mot so il give the oil change in the box ago!! daz any idea what work would be involved if it were linkage?? cheers

Disconnect interior trim around leaver, pull the tran out from under the car and change the linkage. Sounds easier then what it is if you never done it before lol but if your up for it, go for it :)

Guest Mister Dabsy

Good advice from the guys though !

Just to add - Strip the shitty black lubricant from the nylon bushes with WD40 and "Copper-Grease" them ;)

Cheers!! can i put u guys out n post a pic on what i should be lookin at would help out a treat i know abit about cars but not a mechanic im a brickie but love to get stuck in!! still trying to get my head round these motors being newish to bmw may sound daft i know but these cars are built like tanks compared to other motors ive owned n pulled apart, propa built minus the arches lol. cheers

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links