E38 Fuel Tank

Ugly bob

Hi there I am a new member as well as new to the forum way of doing, I own a 01 e38 728 and have a petrol leak from the above the seam on the fuel tank. Has anyone else gone through this problem, I an thinking about having the tank repaired with fibreglass,does anyone have any experience of this type of repair.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Not sure if fibreglass would hold it, but there are fuel-tank repair kits available !

BTW they are a bugger to change as they over-hang the exhaust etc !!!

Amazed you cant get one from BMW, Try FAB recycling (BMW BReakers) Not cheap but they do what they say on the tin,

Or take it out and get it a proper refurb on it, have a look on the internet alot of classic car fuel tank refurb companys around

Thanks will try, I contacted Tim Abbott(BMW uk MD) on Tuesday to ask for some explainations, he passed my email to customer services.I received a reply today,apparently BMW is a premium brand therefore only use quality materials. BMW dont recognise this as a common problem,and finally due to the age of my car I will have to order the part through a special order process through a registered BMW agent.

Although understanding my disappointment they couldn't assist me in this matter any further.

• 1 month later...

Hey sorry IanIOM (beautiful place especially in June) I havent been on this site for a wee while. Sorry I don't need a tank any longer. I had the tank fully enclosed in fibreglass, have been assured it will outlast the car, here's hoping. Huge thanks for keeping me in mind.

• 4 months later...

​i HAVE A SPARE TANK AND WAS THINKING OF HAVING IT FIBRE GLASSED BUT WAS INFORMED BY A GARAGE THAT IF YOU DO THIS IT WILL PROBABLY FAIL THE mot AS IT ALTERS THE SECK OF THE TANK JUST A WORD OF WARNING !!!!

STILL HAVE THE TANK IF YOU NEED ONE.

• 3 months later...

Hi Robin - do you still have that spare tank available? My tank got a 'puncture' after someone helped me change a flat tyre and jacked the car up in the wrong place! I have a 1996 e38 (730i). The jack dented the underside of the tank on the driver's side and seems to have pulled it apart by the seam by the side of the car. Seems these tanks are very hard to get hold of and would appreciate any advice on getting one.

• 3 months later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links