Abandoned Ship

Guest Mister Dabsy

Guest Mister Dabsy

As Title suggests.... I had to abandon the Pearl in centre of Town yesterday evening !!

Came to cast her main-sail and she just "clicked repeatedly". Damn starter was jammed and nothing illegal in the boot to hit it with !! Tonight was a different story - Halfords for jump-leads and a tow-rope = £58... Hitting the starter with a scaff-bar and a lump hammer = PRICELESS.

Arrr, Arrr, Arrrrrrrrr :D

Guest Mister Dabsy

... Thx you guys, just to add to my misery had to Tax her online today !! Common pirates those Government Agencies, Arr, Arrrr... :angry:

• 1 month later...

Mine must have come out in sympathy for you yesterday...went to satrt and battery dead as a dodo....hopefully just were i have done short journeys and cleaning the car with the doors open etc, other than that looking for a drain..

Guest Mister Dabsy

How old is the battery? It is a well known fact that a BMW will throw unnecessary errors with a poorly battery !!

The bloke i bought it off said it was brand new but have othing to prove this....the magic eye on the battery when i got the car was green ( ok ) but when died was black ( needs recharge) so to be honest not sure... it looks new but then again being in the boot they always do... gonna put it back on today and see if it holds...if not its foooked and will be a new one...Have nt had any error messaages or unusual behaviour, car ok friday then dead saturday......

Guest Mister Dabsy

Check around for ANY lose earthing blocks ! You'll know the ones I mean when you see 'em !!

Then check/tighten all the power cables to Starter AND Alternator...

Cheers Dabsy, Battery took charge and held it for 2 days, so put it on and all ok, did everything you suggested and all ok.... disconnected phone and traffic master, so now will just wait and see.....

This is my thought, dont need to drive car till friday so if low then my guess will be the battery as off the car was holding charge ( 2 days once fully charged). Been racking my brains tho ( dont take to long ..LOL) Had the car 2-3 weeks now, battery was fine for 2 weeks and the only thing electrical i have done is rear fog lamp bulbs and the boot lid bulb ( which was missing) but dont have ski flap so cant tell wether switching off, also as i said i had driven about 20 miles since getting it and had been valeting the car, playing around with TV/ Stereo etc so hoping just drained the battery but time will tell...did notice tho, the car has what looks like a new Exide Battery 95ah... it has a magic eye which when green is ok , Black is recharge, white is replace.. when got car it was green , when died it was black so recharged but the the eye is still black..so maybe could be knackered, if dies again will take to my uncles motor spares shop and get tested, also get charging system checked.... watch this space..LOL

Guest Mister Dabsy

You CAN see into the boot area by lowering the rear-seat arm-rest and pull down the leather sheet to reveal a round plastic plug, pop this out !!

Cheers Dabsy, to be honest hadnt realised that, saw that it didnt have a ski flap and just assumed it was solid but thinking about it years ago when i was into my big ICE systems a five series i had was exactly as you have just described.... Anyway battery still holding at mo and as it hasnt been driven anywhere since i put it back on on Tuesday, i think it might have been down to me playing with the toys and cleaning etc... so if had a drain it would have gone by now..... now i am just wondering if i am that lucky .... not normally ..LOL

Guest Mister Dabsy

Before last month I used to take my breaks from work sat in the car listening to radio, at end of shift she'd be almost dead... New battery has solved it all... Less errors on dash too !!

Is the battery a sealed one? Or the type with six plugs on top?

its sealed mate,it does look new as it is an exide but normally have stamps on to see date but cant see anything.... but all i can say is took the 7 out yesterday and all was ok....and had nt started it since i put the battery on on tuesday, so has held the charge and started th car Saturday.... so maybe i am that lucky but gonna keep a close eye on it. Think your right tho when i first got it, it was on the drive and over a few days i was reading the handbook and kept going out to her and playing with the gadgets without turning her over... should know better really...but hopefully i have nt knackered it...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links