X5 Diesel Or Petrol

kris

hi guys looking into getting an x5 around 2002 / 2004 model but the thing is i am hearing all diffrent views on both for fuel econimy its would be the 3.0 petrol and 3.0D the thing that is catch 22 with me is the diesels seem to be alot dearer than petrol with more miles. and is it worth buying the petrol and using the money saved on fuel i dont do alot of miles. any input and peoples opinoin would be greatfull. thanks

hi guys looking into getting an x5 around 2002 / 2004 model but the thing is i am hearing all diffrent views on both for fuel econimy its would be the 3.0 petrol and 3.0D the thing that is catch 22 with me is the diesels seem to be alot dearer than petrol with more miles. and is it worth buying the petrol and using the money saved on fuel i dont do alot of miles. any input and peoples opinoin would be greatfull. thanks

With todays engines the way they are, There aint much in it economy wise. Plus u gotta look at the price of buying a diesel over a petrol, Diesel used to be far cheaper than petrol because there wasn't as much non commercial demand for it. Diesel is now more expensive than petrol, plus to get the best out a diesel or any eco friendly car you gotta drive it like ur in eco mode. Just change how u drive ur petrol car and u'll notice a big difference don't aggressively over accelerate take time come up the gears u'll still hit 70 but in a better gear and get more fuel economy from it.

I was home in the summer and bought my older brother his 1st car he's 32, So any fuel bill is goin to feel harsh to him, due to his age i bought him a 2.0l Ghia X 51plate with 72k full ford history 1yrs Mot and 4months Tax for £650 and WHY so cheap because a 2.0lt is seen as a big car now in the UK come on wise up. You know that car took me to Manchester airport and he got 540miles out it before having to Refuel for me thats awesome.

Plus before you get into bed with a X5 diesel, go price a fuel pump. Wont be cheap at all and you gotta take it to someone who can programme it cos unlike a petrol, you can't just replace it turn the key and off you go. Glow plugs are another pain in the !Removed! aint as easy as 6new spark plugs and a filter change.

but at the end of the day thrash a diesel hard or a petrol hard and it will use fuel simples. Good luck with your choice

Ps u'll be able to bargain harder for a petrol than a diesel. not so desirable!! Wont let you retire but maybe a cpl tanks of free fuel. See you're saving already :)

Im going to disagree with the above post.

Diesel engine are much stronger and more reliable engines. Ok they cost more to fix, but they will let you down a lot less often.

As for the price of fuel, there is a few pence difference with the 2 fuels, but drive them both the same and you will get an extra 10mpg from the diesel, at least.

As for glow plugs, changing/replacing them days have gone, they should last the lifetime of the car as they don't even come into effect until temperature is below 0c

Plus, due to the turbos on diesels, and other factors, a 3l petrol will be a lot less BHP and Torque then the 3l Diesel.

More power + better reliability + more MPG = winner in my opinion.

Spend the extra 1k or so, you won't be disappointed, or even test drive both versions and I'll bet you a pint you will prefer the diesel?

I'm going to have to disagre with Gav petrol all the way if you go for a diesel every time you come home and pull up your neighbours will think there shopping is being delivered leave the deisel for lorrys and taxis !!!

Just highlighted a point of mine thank you.

Why are all Taxies diesel?wink.gif

Guest Mister Dabsy

FFS - Pro's and Con's on both sides here... Motorway, or "Chelsea Tractor" suggests petrol just for the acceleration but no effing good for off-roading !! But the X series falls behind it's competitors :angry:

For an overall opinion - Big diesel, just for the bottom-end torque... Thats my opinion only ;)

FFS - Pro's and Con's on both sides here... Motorway, or "Chelsea Tractor" suggests petrol just for the acceleration but no effing good for off-roading !! But the X series falls behind it's competitors :angry:

For an overall opinion - Big diesel, just for the bottom-end torque... Thats my opinion only ;)

Petrol :-)

Oh! You just had to DRAW me into this arguement, didn't you...

These abysmal vehicles ("X" Series) are as bad as a sled in !Removed!, off-road I mean...

DISCUSSION :angry:

WTF???

Come into a discussion, without an introduction?

Guest Mister Dabsy

Oh! You just had to DRAW me into this arguement, didn't you...

These abysmal vehicles ("X" Series) are as bad as a sled in shite, off-road I mean...

DISCUSSION :angry:

You could've phrased it better :unsure:

BTW Please introduce yourself, and your car in the New Member section... ;)

Taxi's are all Diesel for 1 basic reason. They are all just taking the easy route, If you change ur driving habits whilst in a petrol car to that of a diesel i.e dont accelerate hard cos Diesels are gutless an smoky 90% of the time. Change ur driving habits in a petrol be a lil more tentitive think well ahead of your path, Brake early accelerate easy and you'll be surprised at how you can decrease ur fuel consumption. Good tyre pressure regular services and a keep the Heid as we say. You can enjoy a petrol enjoy but with a bit of pace when u want or need it!. I could get to work an back all week when i had my 300zx if i wasn't driving like i stole it on a single tank. if i was over eager on the go faster pedal. It was gone in a cpl days.

At the end of the day we live in a world where you can make ur own choices, So go drive both and see what you prefer. What we say dont matter a jot at the end of the day if ur not happy.

Also F.A.O

No one in the petrol variety is unhappy but all the diesel fella's are ;). 1 guy even laughs how much his 4.4V8 is using.............Just saying is all!!!!!!!

They may be not as good off road as some if there competitors but if you want an off road veicle buy a land rover on the other hand if you want a BMW with 355bhp as standard buy a 4.6is X5 on the third hand if you got one I went in a shooting trip a few weeks ago which included a nice 120mph cruse up the motorway and a couple of miles off road in the wood which the car enjoyed as much as I did

thanks for the comments guys a think its gonna be 1 of those topics where your for diesels or petrols cheers dbx your right about dont matter wh you al say but its good to hear peoples opinions on them was hoping some1 with a 3.0 would pop up and say what mpg they get as ive drove the 3.0d.

but as said the diesels are going for silly money atm as you can pick up petrol for a lot less. and thats what im trying to figure out is it gonna save me or end up costing the same if i were to spend that bit more and get the diesel. thanks

Oh! Shut up Mr Interiors... The "displacement" of the cylinders far out weighs the economy guesswork which you seem to adopt...

Fatter pistons need faster fuel...

T-Junctions and Roundabouts, Spring to my GREAT MIND ^ Muppet...

Put your toys back in your pram !!!

When I had my jaguars I got better fuel economy from my 4.0 V8 than I did from my 3.2 six cylinder

Guest Mister Dabsy

They may be not as good off road as some if there competitors but if you want an off road veicle buy a land rover on the other hand if you want a BMW with 355bhp as standard buy a 4.6is X5 on the third hand if you got one I went in a shooting trip a few weeks ago which included a nice 120mph cruse up the motorway and a couple of miles off road in the wood which the car enjoyed as much as I did

FFS Chris... You are defeated... YOU Admitted that they are not as good as their Jap equivelents... Hang your head in shame, you BMW turn-coat...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links