What's This Part?

Jas

Hi guys, earlier today whilst driving home my car lost all it's gears...

Driving along from 1st gear going into second...didn't exist, infact none of them did! The gear lever moved freely. So the AA man came and had a look and did a temporary fix, telling me that he'd put on an 8mm nut with an 8mm bolt on the other side. He said it was temporary as it wasn't the correct part and he couldn't get the gearbox mount off as the car was on the road side. He got the car going though for the journey home which was fine but obviously I'll have to get this done at a garage tomorrow.

I've got a picture of what he'd given me... but what's it called? Gear linkage bolt?

17072011003-1.jpg

o'deary me. Sorry to hear about that Jas.

I have no idea what that is supposed to be or to of held, I hope one of the other guys can help you out. If the AA bloke was able to fix it temporarily, I would advise you to fix it by finding out WHAT the heck that thing is, getting the part yourself and bunging it back in! No need to pay some orrible grease monkey to whack it back in when an AA Gimp can temp it by the road side

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Daz

Cheers Daz appreciate the sympathy but it's all fine mate no worries!

Was scary as hell though... reading the report it said a 13mm bolt was used as a temporary fix, and I would normally give it a go myself but I don't wanna wreck anything under there! The garage I go to is usually very good even though they always complain how difficult it is to get my car on the ramps due to it's ride height!

Andy - it just says the gear linkage bolt/nut on the report so I'm assuming it's just that?

Cheers Daz appreciate the sympathy but it's all fine mate no worries!

Was scary as hell though... reading the report it said a 13mm bolt was used as a temporary fix, and I would normally give it a go myself but I don't wanna wreck anything under there! The garage I go to is usually very good even though they always complain how difficult it is to get my car on the ramps due to it's ride height!

Andy - it just says the gear linkage bolt/nut on the report so I'm assuming it's just that?

Typical mechanic trick to put you into a certain state of mind. If he expresses the difficulties earlier, it wont hit you in the face when he calls you and tells you he needs to replace everything in your transmission and some how links your windscreen wiper blades to the reason a bolt fell from under your car. A typical mechanic has more hot air in them than John Prescott's upper bowel

Keep us posted

Daz

Oh no mate! This guy was actually a proper sound bloke! Basically my Dad's on some premier account with his bank which means breakdowns are sorted on the road, or the car is transported to a garage that can sort it or is taken home. So when it was ME that broke down, I rang Dad to ask him to come and rescue me... the AA man came and clearly saw that I was the one behind the wheel of my car (the policy states that the account holder has to be driving) but he overlooked it and continued to assist me on the road side in the !Removed! rain!

So when he reassuringly told me it was just some bolt which he claimed only costs pennies whilst advising me to get a proper fix on it a.s.a.p (he even said I could do it at home!) he sounded like a genuine bloke who just wanted to help us out!

Hence why i respect his judgment and what not - kudos to the guy!

Just a shame the garage was packed today so they couldn't even get my car on the ramps...

Guest Mister Dabsy

Typical mechanic trick to put you into a certain state of mind. If he expresses the difficulties earlier, it wont hit you in the face when he calls you and tells you he needs to replace everything in your transmission and some how links your windscreen wiper blades to the reason a bolt fell from under your car. A typical mechanic has more hot air in them than John Prescott's upper bowel

Keep us posted

Daz

Hmmmmm, Thx Daz :(

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links