And Yet Another Newby

kerbut

I have been a BMW owner many years, mt first was in the 70,s which was a 2002,then I had a 2002tii then changed that when the 3 series came out, so my first 3 series was a 320i, after a couple of years I changed it for a 323i and then again changed that for a 328i. We then moved to France (my work sent me there ) and had a few French company cars until I retired and I bought a new 1 series M sport,we returned to UK a couple of years later and I registered my LHD 1 series in the UK ,my wife always wanted a caravan ,so in 2008 we bought one and the 1 series pulled it well ,but I felt it was a bit light for towing . I sold the 1 series via Ebay and it went to Spain, and then bought my new to me X3 3.0 M sport which we are very pleased with and have just returned from a 3 week 2500 mile trip around France with the caravan. The only problem the car seems to have at walking speed is the auto transmission not sure which gear it wants to be in, I understand this is common and its due to the front tyres being more than 4mm more worn than the rears and there is a software upgrade to counteract the proplem. Regards Kerbut.

Welcome to the club mate

You have just solved a problem for me that has had me puzzeled for weeks since getting my x5 I had a judder when putting foot down hard and slight judder when at walking speed. I changed some bushes and sway arms which solved the judder but still get slight judder when at walking speed I will look into this thanks and enjoy the forums

Regards Chris

Guest Mister Dabsy

That sounds weird ... Do you use 4wd to tow all the time?

I ask this because you don't need to and the apparent differences in tyre tread would make no difference to traction, on tarmac in 2wd !

Hi Dabsy

I stand to be corrected (and have rushed out to the car to get the handbook ) but I thought it is permanent 4 wheel drive on an X3, the only switch shown in the handbook is the DSC switch and my one series had one of those and that certainly was not 4 wheel drive.

The information about the 4mm tyre tread depth and update came direct from BMW technical department at Bracknell

Hi Dabsy

I stand to be corrected (and have rushed out to the car to get the handbook ) but I thought it is permanent 4 wheel drive on an X3, the only switch shown in the handbook is the DSC switch and my one series had one of those and that certainly was not 4 wheel drive.

The information about the 4mm tyre tread depth and update came direct from BMW technical department at Bracknell

Welcome to BMWOC Nigel :)

Wow, that is one sensitive comp on that motor! =] I hope you do get it solved. Plenty of guys on here will help you as much as possible get to the bottom of it ultimately :)

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

The DSC, as you may already know, is the Dynamic Stability Control... This only affects the ride using steering and speed combined with the terrain...

Do you have a second stick/control which lets you select "How many wheels" you need driven (2 or 4) lol ???

Do you have a second stick/control which lets you select "How many wheels" you need driven (2 or 4) lol ???

Hi again

The short answer is No!!

Check out the I-Drive settings ;)

Guest Mister Dabsy

C'mon... I'm on "A roll" today B)

You are getting my undivided attention at this time because this should be an easy fix...

Thanks for the undivided attention, I said in new to me ,not new !! its a 2006 M sport,pre Idrive.

Ahhh that's my theory blown out the water! ;P Dabz will take it home from here..

GOOD LUCK!!

Guest Mister Dabsy

It is ACTUALLY a permanent 4wheel drive system !!! But you can adjust the settings via the menu at the top centre etc ...

I don't subscribe to permanent shite so, best you tinker with it a little...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links