New Member Help!

wayne 318

Hi eveyone i have just got a 318i 1900cc and it feels under power i replaced the air vent valve as advised but no joy.the power is very patchy not as perky as i would think it should be.any ideas thanks mutch

I took it into bmw today and they siad it was some valve i cant remember the right name for it but booked in tomorrow to get it done they said it would be £200 ish deep joy.i think i bought the car just intime to repace every thing..hay ho

Guest Mister Dabsy

Welcome to the Forum, Wayne...

Did they not plug her in for fault codes? If YES then what were they?

TBH, save youself some money and get under the bonnet - Working mainly around the engine block - Find a Sensor and remove it to clean and replace !!

First thing that pops into mind is the throttle body. A dirty one can cause patchy/stuttered performance.. Gav's initial advice seems to be the winner...

Daz

Thats perfectly true, Daz... I taught Gav Well :rolleyes:

Hehe I only diagnosed it that way as my Passat used to drag its ass everywhere until it was cleaned ^^ I think every petrol-head has had that problem at least once :P

Daz

cheers guys i cant mind the name of that valve its something like dessus it just infront of the air vent valve i dont know mutch about bmw engine to many things on air system to go wrong.How do i go about cleaning throttle body. :unsure:

Guest Mister Dabsy

By far the best way to clean the Throttle Body is to remove it and soak it in either, thinners or petrol, then after a short while get in there with some intricacy lol...

Don't forget to re-grease the outer moving parts afterwards !!!

Try to find the name of that valve, I think a well known commedian may have examined it :unsure:

By far the best way to clean the Throttle Body is to remove it and soak it in either, thinners or petrol, then after a short while get in there with some intricacy lol...

Don't forget to re-grease the outer moving parts afterwards !!!

Try to find the name of that valve, I think a well known commedian may have examined it :unsure:

Talking of cleaning the throttle body Dabz, I cleaned mine the other day and there is a plastic 'butterfly sensor' screwed onto the side with two cross-head screws holding it onto the butterfly pivot. I'm afraid I got it too wet and screwed it up. Are they known for failing after a clean dua know?

Hopefully your info can help out EVERYONE on this thread, not just me ^^ hehe

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Not that I am aware of Daz... How did it fail on you?

Tell me you didn't have the keys in while you cleaned yours :huh:...

Like I mentioned, best way is to take it off... Easier to clean AND safer Lol

Not that I am aware of Daz... How did it fail on you?

Tell me you didn't have the keys in while you cleaned yours :huh:...

Like I mentioned, best way is to take it off... Easier to clean AND safer Lol

Sorry matey, I worded it wrong.

I "Fear" it may fail when I put it all together again because I got it soo wet when cleaning it. It hasn't actually failed :) (I hope...)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links