Speed/rpm Question

pwillat

hi all, im new to this site and need some good advice, i have recently purchased a BMW 318is auto on a 96 plat, i noticed today while driving along the motorway that my car was vibrating a bit, im doing 70mph at roughly 3400rpm and the car sounds as though its in 4th, am i hearing thing or do you think i might have a problem with my BM, i would be very greatful for any advice....thnx in advance P.S one more thing i nearly forgot, the car occasionally NEARLY stalls when coming to a stand, then when i stop it jumps back up to about 800 rpm

Welcome Paul, Did you buy the car from if a dealer, if so I would take it back, did the car not do this on the test drive, also is it when the engine is hot or cold, not had an auto beemer so cannot help, is there nothing in the servicing part of the forum, hope you get the problem resolved. :D

Guest Mister Dabsy

Hiya Paul, Where is the vibration? Front, centre or rear?

As for the "Tries to stall", that maybe a dirty Throttle body or Idle Control Valve !!

hi guys thnx for the fast replies, the car was a non dealer purchase and the vibration seems to come from the front,and the car seemed very responsive on the test drive and i dont recall having these issues tbh, thnx again...oh i nearly forgot, i noticed it about quarter the way through my 20 mile journey and the engine was hot, leaving a junction on to the motorway the car seems to speed up normally then around about 40-50 the car will then change gear and no more gear change after that, at 70 it seemed as though it was still in 4th and not 5th, with the high rpm and vibration to boot :(

Welcome matey =D

I had an old '97 Passat and I had the same problem with the almost stalling issue. As Dabz says, I cleaned the throttle body butterfly valve. I Didn't take it off or anything, Just used a bit of carb cleaner on a rag. Cleaning the Throttle Body solved it ^^

Hope this helps,

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links