Diesel Vibrations

acrybb

Hi,

I have been driving about and enjoying driving about :) went a drive today got a couple of photos of the vehicle too. What i have noticed is that at around 1000-1250rmp in any gear i get a loud vibration buzzing noise. Im unsure if its engine noise or cockpit noise although cockpit noise sounds more likely. If the cars under warranty ill be getting it sorted. Could it just be me not driving it right this is my first diesel car and im pretty sure BMW would not be designing a car that makes noises other than broom broom.

Also can anyone tell me if its belt or chain for the timing if its belt when should it be changed?

F**k me when you get it into the torque range its pretty quick in any gear i have found that i dont need to drop a gear to overtake or go up hills :)

They are certainly more noisy/rattely than the petrols, but what your describind dont sound right.

Dont mean to tell you have to drive, but try changing gear a little later, keep the revs higher

This is my first diesel car so any tips on how they differ from driving petrol are appreciated :) I will investigate the vibration noise. I will probably find it's summat I have in the car rattling against trim lol

Guest Mister Dabsy

Get under the bonnet with the engine running, twist the throttle by hand until you get to the vibrating stage...

Notice if the engine shakes or not... If it doesn't then you may have marbles running along the inside of yer vents LOL

Get under the bonnet with the engine running, twist the throttle by hand until you get to the vibrating stage...

Notice if the engine shakes or not... If it doesn't then you may have marbles running along the inside of yer vents LOL

Electric throttle, you wont be able to twist anything if its the same as mine

Lol :) no it only happens when in gear.....I think so marbles might be the answer. I do have a set of safety goggles in my door pocket and an iPod in my wee cubbyhole in the armrest. I'm hoping that's it but fear the ribbing I'll get when I come back err tell u that's what's makin the noise :)

Guest Mister Dabsy

Ahhh, so we can eliminate the engine at this stage ! Which is a good thing !

It could be a propshaft/driveshaft balance issue or the propshaft rubber centre link.

Worse case scenario is the gearbox input shaft or a missing lug on the flywheel, but I doubt that LOL B)

I'll get a look dabsy and let u know. Also I had a look inside the engine bay yesterday at the front of the engine was a very long belt I assume this is therefore not the timing belt?

I work in engineering and I have never taken the time to look or work on an engine lol

was out in the car there seemed to not be doing the noise anywhere as noticeable now. ill take note over the next few days at whats going on when its happening.

Im unsure about the belt thing it was mentioned that all BMWs are timing chains i cannot see a chain only a belt it is very possible that this is the belt to drive all the other gubbins like the water pump etc and that the timing chain is at the back somewhere i have had a look through the books and they mention nothing of the timing. How often if at all should it be changed. How often should the belt i can see be changed.

was out in the car there seemed to not be doing the noise anywhere as noticeable now. ill take note over the next few days at whats going on when its happening.

Im unsure about the belt thing it was mentioned that all BMWs are timing chains i cannot see a chain only a belt it is very possible that this is the belt to drive all the other gubbins like the water pump etc and that the timing chain is at the back somewhere i have had a look through the books and they mention nothing of the timing. How often if at all should it be changed. How often should the belt i can see be changed.

Its deffo a chain mate, and you wont see it until you start taking covers off...

Also only the tensioners for the chain need changing, around 125k I think.

The Aux belt I think is every 60k

:)

So that's the big black belt right that seems to stretch for miles around loads pulleys etc right on the front Of the block itself. (auxilliary belt) ok I'm gonna get that checked as it does not say it's been changed on the service book. It's at 64k it should have been done. I assume it's part of the service schedule? Where can I find all the info on servicing when things should be changed etc. In the ford a'll that was in the owners manual.

I get a strange noise from underneath when I accelerate hard could this be a prop shaft issue? I've also got a intermittent drone from the back between 60/80 mph could this be a bearing? Soz to hijacked the thread.

I get a strange noise from underneath when I accelerate hard could this be a prop shaft issue? I've also got a intermittent drone from the back between 60/80 mph could this be a bearing? Soz to hijacked the thread.

Not hijacking there Andy...some good info there mate

Guest Mister Dabsy

So that's the big black belt right that seems to stretch for miles around loads pulleys etc right on the front Of the block itself. (auxilliary belt) ok I'm gonna get that checked as it does not say it's been changed on the service book. It's at 64k it should have been done. I assume it's part of the service schedule? Where can I find all the info on servicing when things should be changed etc. In the ford a'll that was in the owners manual.

I would suspect that this belt drives EVERYTHING but the engine... Like power steering, alternator, water pump and maybe even the diesel pump... So best to change it for your own peace of mind !!!

Guest Mister Dabsy

As Gav says....

Do you notice any slight vibration with this noise? If you do then its quite possibly the rubber donut connection in the centre of the propshaft (If it has one!)...

I'll bust arnolds chops about it they "serviced" it but if the belts due to get changed at 60k then it will be highlighted to them. Where can I get a full service schedule for my car?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links