18" Alloys

Tum

Just had a call from my loacal BMW service department, apparently two wheels on my 320d are buckled, front left and rear right. Luckly

they have agreed to replace these free of charge. I've only owned the car two days! Oh and a puncture too.

My question, has anyone else experienced a buckled wheel, 18" alloys in paticular? How easy are they to damage? Obviously I'm now a little aprehensive, especially on our perfect pothole free UK roads, ha ha!

Cheers!

Guest Mister Dabsy

TBH They are usually "Kerbed" or simply bought that way... You are very lucky if they will replace them.

If they didn't, it would be far cheaper to buy a set off FleaBay with tyres thatn sort out yourself...

Ally wheels are very light BUT very strong in forward motion... Change the dynamics i.e. sideways motion and it will get very interesting... Very strong in any direction but a kerb, a flat tyre and even high temperatures can cause warping...

I think it is down to wheel spoke setup... Less spokes = more fragility...

HTH

The only reason this all came to light was because the steering wheel was maybe 1 or 2 degrees off centre. I have a touch OCD, so when I called to say the service light had come on (whole other story) I asked to get he wheel alignment checked. So because they took a more detailed look they found out about the buckled wheels. I'm just glad I mentioned it, because I hadn't felt any vibration coming from the damaged wheels.

So, I should get two new wheels & tyres and some sort of 'Laser wheel alignment' done.

I would of thought that this sort of thing would have been caught when going through the 'BMW approved' checks. Apparently not.

Cheers,

Tum

Guest Mister Dabsy

TRACKING will sort your wheels out, But take off the steering wheel n move it to centre when you are sure you are in a straight line, put it back on and if it is still "Out" then take it back to the garage unger "Guaranteed" work done...

Guest Mister Dabsy

TBH I think I'll be making sure everything is straight before walking out he door.

Hmmm LOL You "Dress" to the left then :lol:

Guest Mister Dabsy

Now then, heres a bit of science for you all... Our roads are constructed using lateral cambers, this means every road is higher near the centre and lowers towards the kerb, this aids drainage. With this in mind vehicles will naturally try to wander to the nearside just enough to notice...:rolleyes:

Indeed Dabsy, my car steers to the right when I try to straighten up the steering wheel, such that the 3 spoke M' steering wheel is horizontal along the top. This made me suspect the wheels might need alignment.

My car will be ready tomorrow. I'll let you know how she drives.

Tum.

Well finaly recieved my car yesterday with two new wheels & tyres, feels great. The car had 'lazer alignment' and all is well. The steering wheels sits perfectly straight too!

After a few hiccups I have to praise BMW at Newbridge Edinburgh. I can't complain at the service I recieved.

Looking forward to many miles of care feel motoring, fingers crossed.

Tum

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links