E46 330I

The Cat

Bmw e46 330i saloon with an SMG box

Think my head gasket is on the way out or gone as I have sludge on the filler cap and every now and then when I check the dipstick.

Had inspection 2 done about 2 months ago (same problem) where he said it might just be breathing heavy.

Not a problem until I check her oil level 3 days ago.

Then 2 days ago a cloud of blue smoke from the back pipe's but has not happened again since.

Seems to be running spot on.

Any Idea's Folks

Cheers the Cat....

A shot in the dark here mate, as I dont got a clue about mechanics at all..

But is it true that oil gets into the water with blown gasket? Check your water for murkiness??

Need this comfirming though mate

Guest Mister Dabsy

Firstly, get hold of a compression tester to see which (If any) cylinder is lower than the rest, if all good then I would guess the gasket could be ok...

Blue puffs of smoke when initial start-up could be valve stem seals/guides...

If the water in the rad is "milky" then this is a tell-tale gasket failure, take off the rad cap and run it, does it spit vigorously? If yes, then deffo gasket...

Like a true spanner, I would really need to be there to be 100%...

Heres a small tip... Put a bottle of K-Seal in the coolant.... If its such a slight gasket prob K-Seal with deal with it !!! Worked for me B)

Wish I had better news pal

Cheers Dabsy for your input. It now seems the milky/sludge on the filler cap has disappeared no idea.

Also the blue smoke seems to be on holiday as well so think my car does have a mind like a woman sorry ladies but true.

Will do some more test's later in the week.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links