Can I use Castrol GTX petrol or diesel oil

Hi I own a 2006 3.0L Diesel X5 I am due to do a service on it and was wandering if anyone could help me I have seen Castrol GTX 10-40W Oil it says on the bottle that it is suitable for diesel or petrol engines could anyone please tell me if it is okay to use this?

Just I've never seen an oil before that can be used in both petrol and diesel engines! Also could someone tell me what is involved in removing the sump plug i.e. do I have to remove the sump guard or is there a hole there for easy access to the plug I know I could just jack it up and have a look but was just wandering if anyone could tell me?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance Alan.

my dad gets all his cars serviced by the dealers , personally i just do my own! his cars are always newish though <_<

a quick google search brings up this picture though, although this is the petrol 4.4 , id imagine them to be near enough the same idea.

DSC00752.JPG

the oil filter like most BMWs will prob be up above though.

hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your help guys it's really appreciated... B)

And thanks for the pic Andy I think it will be the same as mine. ;)

So it's just a case of picking the oil,filter,air filter plugs etc up and getting on with the service I found a post on google somewhere on how to reset the service indicator and yep it worked fine I tried it last night using the key and pressing the oddometer and I'm sure it says that it wont come up again till the next service is due.

I'll get the service done then I'm going to get stuck in on the detailing side so as soon as I've gave her a proper detail I'll get some pics up!!! :D

Thanks Alan...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy here's a couple of links to a site called detailing world it's my younger brother first one is of him doing a quick wash after a full detail the products we use are all in the threads!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=177670

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=200331

And the second is of him finishing of after washing etc again all products etc are in the link we are going to do a full detail hopefully this weekend if not next weekend when I get her up to proper standard I'll get a few pics up.

And here's how it was explained to me to reset the service light it says oil light but it's the exact same for the service also cool...

Turn the ignition to "0"

Press and hold odometer button and turn the ignition to "1".

Hold odometer button pressed for approximately 5 seconds until the display shows: "Inspektion Re /

Release and press odometer button again until Reset flashes

Release and press odometer button shortly.

Release and press odometer button again.

The next service interval will be shown and will disappear.

Look forward to seeing some pics of the car detailed Andy! 8)

Thanks and I hope this info is usefull to you mate as I said it worked for me. :D

Alan

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links