coolant type and coolant level float

doug seabrook

hi all

I'm new to the BMW world and so far im enjoying it...the car is a 2009 E90 325i m sport.

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and as yet don't have an owners manual so if I may id like to ask a couple of questions, I seem to have red/pink coolant in the tank but i believe the correct colour is green is this correct? and also where is the float meant to be? is it all the way up to the top or halfway down or other?

I topped the bottle up so the float was touching the top of the neck but over the last few days it has dropped a couple of mm just wondered if id over filled it and it had blown a bit out

thanks guys

Morning Doug

Welcome to the Forum

Check www.realoem.com it is an online BMW Parts List put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model. Then search for what you need or phone your BMW Dealer parts section and ask.

My own BMW X5 3.0d has pink antifreeze currently (Mannol) which meets all BMW standard's I change my coolant annually at service time. BMW OEM is blue but there are 2 or 3 part numbers so check. BMW acknowledge Prestone and Mannol are OK in their engines from what I read. The thing is to avoid mixing coolants as they may react with each other.

Topping up, beside the float on top of the reservoir there should be a legend that gives 2 levels Hot/Cold. Clearly never release the cap when the engine is up to temperature let it cool some first then release pressure gently, safer to check cold. If topping up and you don't have any of the correct Antifreeze use Distilled water not tap water. Check carefully for any signs of a leak or weep my X5 doesn't use/loose any coolant.

Enjoy your Beemer hope this helped

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links