Z3 3.0 Sport mpg?

stingy1

Few weeks ago I set off in my z3 , guage was on at least three quarters full. About 30 miles later it was going towards the red , hadn't brought wallet with me so slowly headed home. I could see the guage dropping ! I was in sport mode , driving urban and A roads , switched to normal mode to get home. No fuel leaks , reset mpg monitor and driving carefully was getting 24mpg semi urban. The way it drinks fuel it seems like a 4.2 Jag! Is this normal, it's done 35k miles and emissions are perfect . Or is it because I'm used to a 30d X5 for normal use that sips fuel by comparison. 

PXL_20230907_104245080.jpg

PXL_20230907_123413078.jpg

• Like 1

Pics taken the day it drank fuel quicker than I drink a beer! Have owned it over ten yrs and in that time only done 3k , bought it with 32k on clock. GoldenEye theme numberplate too valued at 2k .....I have considered selling this car but unless got a VERY good offer it stays a garage queen with occasional drive out

I have the 2.0 litre version and it returns on average 30mpg on extra-urban run.
Doesn't change much on motorway driving but tend to stick to around 60mpg as the 6 cylinder seems to enjoy those revs at that speed and being 23 years old there's little point in thrashing it to destruction.

24mpg on semi-urban driving is not unreasonable for the 3.0 litre engine.
I assume yours has the 5 speed manual transmission?

Yeh, that's not too dissimilar to mine when driven around town and put under hard acceleration.
Motorway is definitely better and can achieve high 30's at a slightly slower pace than everyone else

Also, if you have the autobox version then this would traditionally return lower MPG than a manual (seems to be the other way now with modern autoboxes)

• Thanks 1

I think the statement "Sport Mode" and perhaps an excitable right foot 🤣 may be the restriction, but then who buys a sports car to drive like Miss Daisies Chauffeur 

A few years ago when I had the AMG's a neighbour asked "How many MPG" one of my sons piped up " if it's not in single figures your driving like a girl" 🤣🤣 

My X5 E53 4.6is averages 19mpg bumbling around town 24/25mpg on a motorway My X5 E70 30d 26/27 bumbling around town high 30's on a run. My wife's Perrin engined Subaru Outback with 400whp averages 15mpg but is insane fun if you stand on it's tail

Keep it for high days holidays and sunny days, just don't go out without your wallet 😅

Dave

I guess it was because hadn't used the car in months and not used to seeing a needle drop like that. Doesn't worry me now , had forgotten how thirsty they are 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺bit like myself later......

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links