Power Message

hilly10

That’s it nothing happened it still drives. The BMW Tec came out this morning had a quick look then said it’s got to go in. I took it, with him following me, got to the dealership they said not seen this before so it’s got to have a full diagnosis to see what the problem is. I think it may have something to do with the Mild Hybrid second battery and generator. I will let you know when I get it back

Morning Paul

Technology is great until it "knows more than we do" or it malfunctions be good to know what the cause is My brother inlaw had a weird glitch with his latest 540d Xdrive Touring 2 consecutive mornings no power at all, Battery check at the charging points showed full power got back in started as though nothing had happened, next morning same again BMW could find nothing 1 year on no re-occurrence. Damn these smart cars

Dave 

The service manager telephoned me this morning to say the battery as run down to lack of use and suggested I use a trickle charger. He also said the cars log reads I have only driven it 5km in 5 weeks. So now I know something is wrong as I know I have done at least 400 miles in the last month, so they are taking another look. I will have owned it 12 months September and by then I will have done 9k miles I think that’s sufficient mileage to keep it ticking over nicely.

Hi Dave 

latest update this afternoon. There are three technicians looking at the car and officially they are stumped. Having never seen this warning before they cannot get into the head unit to clear the error messages, and therefore they do not know if it’s affected important systems. The front of house lady said there is quite a lot of head scratching going on.

Morning Paul

Not sure about your car as I haven't had one to play with, BMW traditionally store Miles covered in 2 places (1) in the FCM/LCM and (2) in the IKE (Instrument cluster) it may be different with the new models but it will still be in 2 places to give anti tamper protection. Clearly at least one is not recording distance covered which with smart battery charging these days could explain part of the issue. 

Lets hope the 3 wise men scratching their heads can fix it for you in a timely manner

Good Luck

Dave

Hi Dave

update this afternoon. The problem that whenever they try to update or extract data errors the system crashes and nothing can be done, so they are stripping out two modules and replacing them, it’s 7 to 10 days before they are available..

I do have the use of a 530e which is not to shabby, I had one for three weeks about 3 years ago when my 520d Touring went in for EGR valve they get down the road at a fair rate of knots

Hi Paul

I had a Gearbox issue with an AMG Mercedes the dealer couldn't understand my frustration as they had me driving an ML loaner?? Lovely car but not what I brought

Lets hope they get it sorted with out hitches

Dave

• 1 month later...