Hard ride and low to the ground

Joseph80

My E88 has a stiff ride when I first bought it. So I changed from run flats to standard tyres, however, although the clearance from the floor is slightly higher so not scrapping as much as it used to but I feel every bump in the road.

My local garage said if you changed the tyres, then another way to soften the ride could be to replace the coils (about £100 on eBay) and you get springs that can raise the car another 1" or so.

What does anyone think? I have watched lots of YouTube that go on about air suspension etc but that is way too expensive for a 2008 car in my humble opinion. Just wanted to know if there are any reasonably priced options to soften the ride and raise the car, so it clears these new Forest Roads, which are not the best in the country

Many Thanks as always, I look forward to your replies.

You can buy softer springs for the car no problem, but it may be worth looking at the wheels. What size tyres are you running? 
mot may be worth selling your wheels and getting a smaller set (maybe an inch or 2 smaller) so your tyres have a large side profile, this will give more movement in the tyres and lead to a softer ride without altering the springs 

something like a ***/40/19 will have the same diameter as a ***/50/17 but will have a smaller wheel, giving it a larger flex area. 
hipe it makes sense.

The tyres I changed to were 205/55R 16 - The wheel size is 17".

Spent a fortune on sorting out the splutter, so reluctant to buy smaller new wheels atm.

Do you think the car has been lowered, please see attached photos.

Many thanks.

IMG_3411.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

Wow…. They do look small! 
can you check the tyre size. The last number will be the wheel size 16 or 17. 

jack the car up and check the spring condition. It does seem a little low, but it could be that the wheels look small, giving it a lowered look. 

im going out on a limb here and saying the spring could be shot? Does it make any clunking noises?

No noise that I can hear, it's just every bump in the road I feel.

When I bought the car it was scrapping on most roads, so replaced all the tyres and it was better, as it did not scrape the road so much.

Joseph

Check www.realoem.com for the part numbers of the springs so you get the correct ones for your car. As Stu has pointed out if your in there you may as well change the Shocks as well. Front spring and shocks are a Macpherson strut assembly so changed as a unit.

Before spending your hard earned cash Google the standard ride height for your car and measure against your car. It would be a shame to buy new springs and shocks and find no change.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links