Lost Yaw sensor

Denkmal

Hi my grandson has a Z3 1.8 Roadster reg Mar 2001. I apologise for posting what must be the most recurring query but I can't find the answer anywhere. The car has the ASC light on and scanning comes up with ASC bus cam fault. I've found the can resistance is 120ohms and checking the ABS sensor I read 120 at the pins. So my next check apart from cam high low voltage was to locate the Yaw sensor to check the resistance there, but for the life of me I cannot find the sensor under in front or behind , or on the side of both seats. I also looked behind the centre console . Am I going mad or is there another location.Help would be much appreciated.

Morning David

Welcome to the Forum

Take a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of the Vin into the search box, that will call up your model then search the sections for what you need. When you locate the part (the small exploded drawings are a help) double click the part number and it will give a list of alternate part numbers and the cars they were used on. Much easier to source used parts if needed easier on the pocket to 😁

What other work has been done? If the pump has been changed it will need coding to the chassis or you will struggle to lose that fault. Better to get the ABS unit and pump repaired to avoid the issue. If the ABS/ASC is OK and the Yaw sensor is the issue it should be located under the drivers seat.

Hope this helps

Dave

Dave thanks for replying. I had a closer look at some wiring diagrams last night but they are all slightly different wiring on the ABS module from the one that's fitted. I have sent to Canada for a better diagram and hopefully this vehicles in it. It seems however some of the early builds don't show a Yaw sensor so I presume this car first reg Mar 2001 was probably a 2000 build.

I will check the link you sent me and I'll post what , if ever I do find, the result. 

I've taken both seats out , removed plastic covers over both sides  of the harness's, pulled back the mats and checked all cavities. There definitely are no sensors anywhere. I've checked the realoem  using the Vin and I can't find any mention of the sensor.

Seems you dont have one then, which eliminates one cause. it was not uncommon for mid 90's to early 2000's cars with Teves ABS to suffer dry joints and often water damage on the PCB several companies in the UK made/still make a good living repairing them

Good Luck with the hunt

Dave

Yes seems that way, I prized open the abs sensor and I couldn't see any obvious signs but I re -soldered the plug terminals as a precaution. Still waiting for a decent wiring diagram before delving further, but thanks for the help.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the problem can low at the ASC sensor wire had corroded through just before the multiplug. Found it by finally following the diagram and continuity checks. It wasn't as obvious as it looks in the photo as the insulation was covering it, just a speck of green I noticed after putting on two pairs of glasses. Thanks for your replies.

Daveimage.jpeg.a8e2fd1cb3b15d8cf86ab13007905f90.jpeg

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links