Cylinder 1 misfire

Chaos

Hi all, little help please.

I’ve got a 1999 z3 1.9 and really enjoy working on the car. Have code cylinder 1 random misfire. Mpg is horrendous, strong smell of petrol, lack of power and sounds like a tractor.

things I’ve changed.

valve cover gasket as cylinder 1 spark plug was covered in oil (solved now) also several hoses that were perished.

all spark plugs

all injectors and fuel rail

fuel pump

fuel filter

crank position sensor

Next step is injector coil and Leeds.

is there anyway of checking the coil pack and Leeds to make sure they are functioning properly?

Hi Carl

Welcome to the Forum

The simplest check is to move the coil pack if the misfire goes with it you have your culprit. If the misfire remains then I would suspect the harness not unknown for them to become chaffed and cause misfires. Also check the Injector harness while your there

If you have a diagnostic tool such as INPA you can run live data to check

Good luck tracking it down

Dave

52 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Hi Carl

Welcome to the Forum

The simplest check is to move the coil pack if the misfire goes with it you have your culprit. If the misfire remains then I would suspect the harness not unknown for them to become chaffed and cause misfires. Also check the Injector harness while your there

If you have a diagnostic tool such as INPA you can run live data to check

Good luck tracking it down

Dave

Cheers Buddy

I will try that out this evening. I’ve only got an obd2 reader. Is it really worth investing in an INPA?

Morning Carl

If your going to be working on your Z3 then the best Value would be BMW 1.4.0 (About £25) you will need an old laptop with Win 7 or 8 to run it on. Brilliant program which will allow Dealer level  access on BMW's using the early Bus systems up to around 2004/5. The difference you will see between an OBD code reader and 1.4.0 is massive

INPA is a Full Dealer Program which includes TIS ( Tech Info System) and Wiring diagrams etc, all models up to E87.

ISTA is the latest iteration obviously covering all models up to date, including Mini 

If your Z3 is your only BMW then BMW 1.4.0 would be the best buy (works on Range Rover up to around 2005), if your a car nut like me who works on not just my own BMW's but family and neighbours cars you will need something that will cover more models. 

My garage laptop has Mercedes Star (used to have AMG), VADIS (Volvo) VAG Com (VW) I also have Foxwell OBD readers one of our sons says "Dads a car nerd with OCD" he could be right but it keeps the old grey stuff stirred up  🤣 and I enjoy the odd challenge.

Good Luck

Dave

I agree with Dave, get the bmw 1.4.0 … it’s saved me a fortune! 
I would bet you have a failed lead or coil. Easy to check.. run the program and it will tell you which cylinder is off. Swap the lead with the next working lead (at both ends) and see if the issue moves, if not, do the same with the coil pack.