X5 3.0 e54 petrol hesitancy starting

X5smw

Hi Stu

I didn't change the ignition barrel just the door lock DME an EWS fiddly not difficult I would term it. The help of a dwarf with 9" long double jointed fingers that can hold like mole grips would be good if you find one lock it in a cupboard in case I need to borrow it 🤣

I was wondering if you could reprogram the Vin number in your existing EWS? may be cheaper (your not buying new I hope)

Tip. Remember if buying a spare key take the key your getting with the lock set into the Dealer they can read the key to order if you give them the car vin it wont work

Dave

Success!!!!!!! 

managed to clear and update the ews module and we have liftoff! 

I haven’t changed the door lock yet as I have never used it, so that can wait…

another question though. 
I cannot code my new key (key 4 on the new ews unit) to the central locking but I can code the old key to make the doors lock and unlock. 
can I swap the old ignition barrel back in? Would it affect the new ews Or should I try another way to code the new key? …. The key looks like it has been opened before so it could be a dead battery? 

Morning 

As I understand/remember it the door lock has to match the key and using the key in the door lock sync's the key with the EWS

As for registering the key sometimes they can be uncooperative little so and so's. As you don't have the keys already registered can you clear the memory and start again ?

I have a document covering the Central Body Electrics and comm's digging for it now, Just reading it looks like a max 4 keys if I understand it you have to clear some space for the new keys491496552_Tab7CentralBodyElectronicsZ.pdf

Hope this helps 

Dave

491496552_Tab7CentralBodyElectronicsZ.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thank you so much for your fountain of info greydog…. You really need to get a hobby! 😂

has anyone had any experience with the ak90 ews programmer? Could I code my key to the central locking with this tool? Also, I’m guessing I could get replacement keys and programmed them with this? 

… or am I talking nonsense again? 

Morning Stu

As I understand it there is a chip in the key blade which provides the rolling code then there is the Fob which operates the central locking 

I have read about the Key Programmer but have absolutely no experience and don't know anyone who has,     Yet !

I would think if the key chip is compatible with the BMW system there is no reason for it not to work

Hobby what's a Hobby I don't have time for Hobbies!!!  I have a wife with Horses 🤣,  one of them was scratching it's backside against the stall wall and pushed it over yesterday !! So today I get to rebuild the wall and re=hang the stable door 🤣 Plus as the love of my life is leaving for a ride this morning says "Oh we have a 100 bales of hay being delivered this afternoon 😲 WE.  Then we have the dogs 5 + a pup to train enough to drive a man to drink !! Now there's a thought ?? 😂 The boys were round yesterday wonder if they restacked the beer fridge ?

Dave

Well, I have ordered a key programmer so we shall see what happens this weekend… await a thread of ‘how do I get into my locked car’ …

if it works, I’ll get some spare keys cut and programmed, then I’ll report on the success or not of those. 

im kind of in the same position with hobbies and spare time at the minute.

last night I finally got the studio software transferred over to the new pc, so the wife can now record in the new studio I built in the garage… 6 months of weekend work! … I collect the hot tub tomorrow night after work, as the last one keeps deflating after I may have punctured it putting it back in the purpose built decking which I built again… about two months weekend work…. 
im currently sat in a bank vault while in my full time job having 5 minutes peace! 😂

Very professional or as your wife would say "who left all this stuff in here " 🤣 Oh how we love them 😂

Be interesting to know how it works with the key I just had a read up and it seems that providing you dont enter the wrong codes when reading the EWS chip you can't do any damage and if you brick it, your well practiced now at refitting an EWS 😂

Good luck with the programming

Dave

Well, I got annoyed with the central locking… and then the key reader arrived so I had a play. 

I have a blank key with all the bits coming but I doc a test run and it read my keys …. Apart from the original one… so I’m guessing it was the transponder in the key that failed 🤷🏻‍♂️ Rather than the ews unit. So lesson… buy a 20 quid key programmer and test the keys before replacing the rest… hey ho! 

anyway, had a brainwave and opened both keys, to find the new one didn’t have a battery in, that’s why it wouldn’t sync with the central locking… put a battery in but no joy, so I figured, just swap the boards over and hey presto, my new key now unlocks the car…… doesn’t start it now though. Looks like the transponders are on the remote board and not a separate item as I thought.  I can start the car with the new spare key, or hold the new board next to the key to bypass the ews, but after gluing the new key shut and sticking my mouth to my finger, I gave up. I will use the new key to unlock the car and the spare to start it. When the new key arrives from China I’ll programme it all up fully and hopefully have some good news. If that works, then I’ll get some more keys cut and programmed and write some instructions for you all.

fingers crossed! 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links