Hi from a Newbie

TCon

Hi everyone 👋

Im Tony and I have had a 2013 503d F11 for the last 3 years and ive done quite a bit of work to maintain it as I plan on holding onto it for a long time. Im handy with the spanners and to date I have done to it things like, changed steering wheel to paddle shifters,  refurbished the entire airbag suspension, changed the gearbox oil (twice), changed coolant gaskets behind the oil filter, removed and cleaned inlet manifold, deleted the egr, swapped the idrive controller knob, swapped the parking brake button, updated the sat nav, coded things (video in motion, stop/start default to off, paddle shifter enable, enabled LEDs all round, ect) and all general maintenance work that is required like timing chains, diff oil, diesel and engine/cabin air filters., ect. I have also ran into the usual issues associated with these models such as the dreaded water in rear footwell issue (easily sorted actually), changed the rear light due to vandalism X2 😡 and im sure there are more im forgetting. So if I can assist anyone with issues they are having feel free to give me a shout out anytime. 

Oh I am not finished doing things to this car either as I plan on doing some serious road trips in this car and im going to be putting a lot more mileage on it in the future. So I'll post more of what I get up to. 😁

Thanks Dave. 

Yep ive definitely done a bit with it. Going to change my gearbox mounts and maybe the diff mounts and rubber doughnuts too. 🤞

1 minute ago, TCon said:

Thanks Dave. 

Yep ive definitely done a bit with it. Going to change my gearbox mounts and maybe the diff mounts and rubber doughnuts too. 🤞

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity. 

Morning Tony 

🤣 I like that

Best thing I did to the X5 was re-bush the suspension, I made all the bush removal/insertion tools myself with material scrounged from the scrap at a local engineering shop.

Subframe bushes and inner swing arm bushes are now Poly Bushes, all the rest Meyle HD brought as a kit from the Bay. Ride improved, handling improved, tyre wear (inner rear) stopped. The most fiddly was the Diff mount bush but when done cured a slight vibration in the drive lines at 3k and above.

Just remember AI was invented by someone who was born naturally stupid !! A skilled engineer doesn't need a computer, he knows instinctively what size hammer is needed

Dave

Hi Dave

Made your own tools to do the work. That's impressive 👍🏻 

I've started compiling the part numbers for the bushings that I need to do all the diff and drive shaft rubbers. I'm also thinking of powerflex polyurethane bushings for the diff. I may change the diff seals too while it's out. Thankfully these parts are not expensive but rather time consuming. But by the sound of your X5 it's well worth the effort.

Hi Tony

If you aren't aware www.realoem.com is an Online BMW Parts List just put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box and it will bring up your model check the rear axel section and you will have an exploded drawing with all parts and parts numbers

There were very limited Poly Bush options for the X5 when I did mine, literally Sub Frame Bushes Front Brake reaction arms and the Inner swing arms much more available now.

As for making stuff it saves me being dragged into all the other jobs the "Chancellor" has on the "when your not busy list" like fitting the new stable door this weekend. Since I retired the last time I don't know how I fitted work in ??? 😂 Much more fun tinkering in the garage 👍

Dave

Way ahead of you 😉👍🏻 I have my wish list of OEM part numbers almost done and my bank account primed and ready for a big impact. Now how do I get time?? 🤔

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links