Water pump issues?

DannyZimmer

Hi all,

I recently had the water pump and thermostat replaced as a precaution (car has done 100k) in my 130i.

When I got it back, the orange thermostat warning light appeared on the dash, along with a lack of power.

The red thermostat warning light then came on and the car wouldn't start.

After letting it cool down I managed to get it home. Spoke to my mechanic who fears it might be the water pump. He said that the 130i rarely suffers with air lock. I had a borg and beck aftermarket water pump installed as it was half the price of the OEM part from bmw.

I wasn't sure about this, so i got RAC to come and check it out. He said he bleed the system, and a few air bubbles popped out. He ran it up to full temp and said the fan was cutting in when it should. He took it for a spin and said he didnt get the thermostat warning light, so i presumed it was all tickity boo.

But the orange temp warning light appeared again the other day, with loss of power. So i pulled over til it cooled down and yet again managed to get it home.

The mechanic who fitted it is due to come check it out on Tuesday morning. 

My fear is that he might just say its due to the aftermarket part, and then me have to fork out for a genuine one 🙄

If anyone can advise me of possible explanations for this (maybe someone has some experience of this happening) I'd be very grateful.

Regards

Dan

Morning Daniel

Not good news !!

A code read by someone with BMW specif diagnostics may reveal more detail. I have read of these electric pumps failing at low mileages (not what you want to hear) but check what supplier guarantee/warranty was on the part fitted.Borg Beck are a "known name" supplier it may be worth contacting them (or getting your mechanic to) to see if they will give any support?

Have you checked www.realoem.com to ensure the part fitted is the correct equivalent ? it will also give you a feel for the OEM price though in US$ as it is an American site

You could also check www.newtis.info a BMW Technical site used by BMW Dealers for repair, replacement and service information. With both sites put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box and it will bring up your model. Even if you are using a Garage to do the work knowledge is power and will help you identify if any Bull Poo being spread.

Good Luck

Dave