Fuel Economy

VermillionRed3X

Hi guys just wondered what sort of fuel economy people are getting with the 20l diesel I have been trying to see what I could achieve if I tried hard for a few weeks unfortunately this has left me a bit dismayed and thinking I have a problem of some sort, been doing 30 mile round trip every day for a couple of weeks and the best I have achieved is 32.7 this is mostly fastish duel carriage way.                                       What are your thoughts ????

Morning Mick

First there is always a difference between Manufacturer claims and real life experience.

Probably teaching Granny but to make sure your giving the car the best opportunity to deliver for you when was it last serviced, are tyres correct in good condition and correctly inflated, is the drive train in good order nothing binding or sticking.

Tyres can make a significant difference just look at the tyre labels for MPG guidance for the journey your making I would be expecting closer to high 30's than low.

Dave

If it makes you feel better I average mid 18's 

As above, plus when was the vehicle last serviced, when was the air cleaner last changed, have you run a fuel cleaner through the system. Do you run a few tanks of BP or Shell premium diesel through once in a while. 

BMW sell a fuel cleaner and is easily obtained online. 

You don't say what output the 2000 diesel is. 18, 20, 25?

My 2015 X1 X Drive 18D has returned 47.8 over 55000 miles according to the on board computer at 44.2 mph. Most trips are 15 miles plus. I would think the above figure is fairly accurate as I achieve about 700 miles per tank. 

Upt'North. 

Hi guys thanks for replies

Tyres in good condition and correctly inflated nothing seems to be binding my X3 is 184 bhp next service due September next year but last service  performed before I purchased, I was not expecting great things Economy wise thats not why you buy one of these, but I was expecting around the 40 ish mark. My right foot is aching to try out the real performance. But wanted to see what it was possible to achieve driving carefully, will check the air filter later, only had the car 8 weeks now but loving it so far 

Regards Mick 

Hi Mick

Had my 2016 2 ltr X3 Auto for 4 weeks now, bought from main dealer and done some 1600 miles of all sorts.

So, using Cruise control and ECO as much as possible finding:-

Town  25 MPG

Country, Cornwall, up and down hills and tractors   35 to 40 MPG

Motorway  Plymouth - B,ham return  50.1 MPG.

Thought to be as high mpg as possible.

So.. very Happy!!

BUT, Speed kept below 64 mph  And av speed PLy - B,ham 52 MPH

Biggest factor in econmy...right foot!!

Hope this helps

Phil

The M25 is about 115 miles around but you would be hard pressed to average 52mph. The same goes for any of our Motorways these days they all have their sticky bits, Our Daughter lives near Cannock we are in Sussex towing the horse trailer (60 mph limit on the Motorway) makes no difference to my average MPG and very little difference to our journey time (normally around 3 hrs) That is why I found Phils figures impressive.

Yup we use the Toll M42 can be sticky though so sometimes I take M42 West to the M5 North off at the first exit then cross country Kidderminster then the 449 straight up doesn't seem to make much time difference but at least we are moving.