wishing to learn

Phil o Plymouth

Hi folks

Bought X3 2016 M 2000 diesel sport auto box  with 18300 on the clock.

Drives as a new car and very pleased.

So.;... best driving set up for economy on Mway,.... ECO ?, cruise control, auto or manual, speed about 60 I would guess.

Got 42 mpg on Mway  yesterday, quite happy with that but Could it be improved?

And any useful tips on the longevity of the car, Seems to be a brick outhouse build and very comfortable and safe!

Must fit running boards for my lady soon, any accessories to quieten the  other driver, the one in the L H seat?

Any tips do,s or do,nts welcome.

Cheers and.hullo

phil.

Phil, your fuel consumption seems OK, not great but it's got to be about right. 

The ECO mode at least on my X1 seems to make little or no difference to the economy but kills the vehicle, everything just seems lifeless with it on. It's that long since I used ECO I'm not even sure I know where the button is. 

I think you'll find it more economical without the cruise on but the speeding tickets will soon cancel out any advantage. I believe you could extend the mpg by predicting Hills etc, but the gain would be small. 

My X1 X Drive on varied running, it's the 2000 cc 18D, has returned about 48 mpg over its life so far which I'm happy with. 

Upt'North. 

Hi Phil

Are you taking the figures from the on-board computer?

If so, I would question their accuracy.

A habit I picked up when employed and running company cars is to maintain a spreadsheet of fuel purchases including mileage at the time of the fill-up.

Even though now retired, I still do this and find there is ALWAYS a difference between the car computer figure and spreadsheet calculations. Sometimes this is quite significant.

OK, call me a saddo for still doing this but remember a decline in fuel consumption can be an indicator of engine or brake problems.

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

Hi Guys

UPDATE

Just come back from Tamworth to Plymouth. M42  M40 M5.

Final figures,,, 51.1 mpg,  53.2 mph !

ECO engaged,

Cruise control used set at initially 64 mph then 57 mph when past Avon bridge..weather conditions.

I CAN LIVE WITH THAT! 

One question, occasionally I get a harmonious noise,sometimes 1 chime, some times a small series, no apparent warning signs.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, 

Phil

On 11/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, Phil o Plymouth said:

Hi Guys

UPDATE

Just come back from Tamworth to Plymouth. M42  M40 M5.

Final figures,,, 51.1 mpg,  53.2 mph !

ECO engaged,

Cruise control used set at initially 64 mph then 57 mph when past Avon bridge..weather conditions.

I CAN LIVE WITH THAT! 

One question, occasionally I get a harmonious noise,sometimes 1 chime, some times a small series, no apparent warning signs.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, 

Phil

Hi Silver john,

Yes I am using the on boars computer as in the past on Mercs I have found them reasonably accurate.

What are your conclusions accuratish?  Over or under the true figures?

AND you are not a saddo,  but a realist with an enquiring mind!

Phil

Hi Phil

Yours is a 2.0L Diesel, mine is the 3.0L Diesel so clearly there's going to be a difference !

Since buying the car in April of this year, my calculated figures from fuel purchases are as follows :

Overall MPG 34.95 (5289 Miles)

Recent Months : Sept 36.59 (466 Miles), October 38.18 (1237 Miles), November 33.82 (808 Miles).

The Car computer is currently showing 36.2.

The significant change in October was mainly due to a family wedding in Carlisle (we live in Luton)

I don't actually know how the car's computer calculates the MPG, particularly over what timescale/mileage. It might be in the manual somewhere but hey, life's too short.

Feel free to draw your own conclusion but it would seem that the car's calculations are slightly optimistic.

Finally, thanks for the compliment, like you I am retired but try to keep active both physically and mentally.

Cheers,

John

On 12/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, Phil o Plymouth said:

HI KIT B.

Obviously a younger man and in Paid emp;oyment.

As a pensioner Icannot afford such luxury!

But    you are right!!

I'm retired and 52 years old. No point in being the richest man in the graveyard.

Got a new Kawasaki Z900 RS Cafe  to give me that extra bit fun when the weather is good.

• 1 year later...

Why buy an "economical" car then spend hard earned £ on tuning to make it faster ?? I never understand that why not buy the bigger engine to begin with more performance and less wear and tear even if you do tune it plus it will already have bigger brakes etc.

Still it would be a boring world if we were all the same for me the most important bit gets lost. You should ENJOY your car and driving it as long as that's achieved Whoop Whoop.

Dave