Bmw 116i 2012 oil loss

adamhorton1991

Hi guys

im loosing oil internally ive haven't got any smoke coming from the exuasht system 

on average im putting a 1liter in a week -week and a half , when i open the oil filler cap it smells very chemicly ive changed the oil, there is no sign if water and oil mixing but when i open it with the car running there seems to be a lot of white smoke coming from The filler cap, 

anybody any suggestions ??

i forgot to mention im doing about 300-400 miles a week some weeks a lot less 

Oil doesn't disappear it is either leaving big puddles somewhere being burnt or collecting somewhere. 

First, I would take off the engine covers top and bottom thoroughly clean all traces of oil away then run the engine and look for weeps/leaks 

Second, Check all inlet hoses and egr system for oil collecting include any turbo pipework and inter-cooler, if it isn't dripping on to the floor and not being burnt it has to be somewhere. 

Dave

hi  Dave

ive had a look around the engine I carnt see any visable weeps or leaks

ive taken various pipes off around the turbo an the intake

would my spark plugs be a good indicator ? ive had it plugged in to a computer ive got a few codes on there

air mass, plausalbilty air mass too low

oxygen sensor after catalytic converter dynamics, from rich to lean slow respone

oxygen sensor after cataliyc converter in coasting/overrun mode from rich to lean delayed respone

cheers adam  

Morning Adam

The oil has to be somewhere if it isnt leaking onto the floor then re-check the turbo if seal are gone on the inlet side oil will be in the inter cooler and inlet tracts if it is on the MAF it will explain the fault code. You can clean the MAF but the leak needs fixing first. If the turbo is leaking on the exhaust side you will surely smell it and see it being burnt but it can clog the cat and coat the O2 sensors. Oil inside the engine will also be burnt checking the plugs is a could shout but remember the car will smoke and you will smell oil being burnt.

Oil inside the engine will get there either through the Inlet tract (turbo issue) or engine wear, valves, rings etc. A litre of oil is a serious amount to lose good luck with the search for the source

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links