2006 BMW X3 2.0d Manual, hesitation issue when accelarating

Colly Mac

Please can any one help, I have just purchased a 2006 X3 2.0 d LCI, on acceleration there appears to be a miss/hesitation, it feels like a similar problem i had  with  my E90 that turned out to be a ABS reluctor ring. Needless to say I turned of the traction control however it did not make a difference.

Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin....welcome to the Forum

As Greydog has mentioned, it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact issue without carrying out a scan on the ECU memory to see what faults are stored or even looking at the live data when the fault occurs to narrow down the possible causes.

My first thoughts are fuel pressure dipping slightly but again, live data would show this occurring.

Let us know what you find out

Cheers,  Trevor

Hi Trevor, Dave.

I actually did most of the above, however was able to get it sorted by moving the front wheels to the back and back to the front. So obviously it was the the rolling radius of the tyres that was kicking of the DSC, so happy days !!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks for your help

Colly Mac. 

On 31/12/2017 at 8:31 AM, Greydog said:

Hi Colin

Do you have a code reader? BMW 1.4.0 or Carly are common and work well and are not expensive the codes will give you (and us) a better idea of what is going on. Fingers crossed its a simple fix

Dave

Thanks Dave

1 hour ago, Colly Mac said:

Hi Trevor, Dave.

I actually did most of the above, however was able to get it sorted by moving the front wheels to the back and back to the front. So obviously it was the the rolling radius of the tyres that was kicking of the DSC, so happy days !!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks for your help

Colly Mac. 

Thanks Trevor

Morning

Take care with the tyres X3 and X5 are known to be sensitive to different rolling radius tyres front to rear or side to side. There are many posts on other sites about damaged diff's front centre and rear due to transmission wind up, none are cheap fixes. Does your X3 have a staggered set up? If it does it is even more important than ever to have the correct size tyres. BMW themselves recommend only * rated tyres by a few premium brand manufacturers. I change all 4 when they are getting close to the wear indicators and while I don't use premium brands I check out the deals available (my X5 runs a 20" staggered set up) currently running Yoko's with no ill effects.

Symptoms will be jerking or grinding clicking noises when on full lock going slowly forward or in reverse

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have recently purchased 2007 x3

Se 2.0dT.

Tyres are all odd makes but same wear patterns. just had another odd one fitted to rear and now have slight hesitation when accelerating away and clonks when coming to a stop. After reading this lot, first job to get all four tyres changed for same. Hesitating only started when one rear had a replacement part worn. FYI.

Hi David

If your tyres are square set up same size front and rear make sure they are at least from the same manufacturer or you are risking transmission wind up and damage to the transfer box.

Fingers crossed you catch it in time

Dave