BMW Z3 Cluster wiring to emu

Hello all,

In desperate need of help now, my Z3 has been in 2 garages (both BMW auth) to find out why the dials in the cluster are not working, first garage kept

it for about 2 weeks with no results, total cost £350, the next garage has just told me they don't know why the dials don't work, its not the cluster nor the emc

as they have been checked against a 3 series, so it must be the wiring, they have had the car some 6 weeks, I dread to think the bill when I go and get it Wed,

I cant drive it with no gauges, any body any suggestions as to where I go from here, there is a d*ck Lovett BMW near me, but I dread to think what I would get

charged, and of course if they can fix it !!

Regards

Old Bill Phil 

I remember reading some time ago when my X5 binnacle was acting up something about the dash binnacle on the Z3  where the loom to the unit chaffed behind the dash causing some intermittent dial faults and always eventual total failure.

The fix was to check very carefully the loom repair any sign of rubbing or damage and secure it with ties to prevent re-occurrence. 

Well worth taking out the binnacle and checking as it costs nothing but some of your time if it works. There are also a number of companies that repair BMW binnacles a telephone conversation may spread more light plus if it needs repair they will be cheaper than a garage if you go direct.The binnacle on the X5's tend to suffer from pixel failure 2 screws pull the binnacle forward unplug and send it away mine took 48hrs and was under £100 (was awhile ago). 

Hi Phillip

Exactly as Greydog has mentioned, carefully check the wiring, alternatively plug in the instrument cluster and wiggle the wiring leading up to it to see if that brings it to life, if so then you've found the break/short circuit.

The instruments went out on my Z3 just the once so never bothered to find the fault. But also worth checking to see if there is water ingress anywhere under the dash or in the boot area.

Keep us updated on what you find with this.

Cheers  Trevor

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links