minesapint

Just to say Hiya to you all.

Bringing my 325i cabriolet out of hibernation, not turned a wheel for 14 years!!

Had it from new Sep 1986, done 22000 mls, all totally original, down to unused spare etc.

More of that at a later time.

I'll be asking lots of questions in the future & hoping your collective knowledge will guide me through the process of bringing car back to life.

Cheers

• Like 1

Guest Mr.Beemer

welcome to the forum Stephen - :)

would be nice to see some pics of the classic cabrio when ready'

good luck on bringing her back to life -

Thank you guys & gal!

Claire your surname really isn't Clutch is it? lol

I'll tell how I came to buy the car.

Back in early 86 I saw an advertising display in my local BMW showroom, it was a reversed negative of 325i Cab (so looked as RHD). Asked what it was, the staff didn't know.

So I wrote to BMW Germany who replied to me v quickly & sent a brochure of the car they were making in Germany, they also said they were going to start making RHD versions & were making this public at the car show being held for the opening (by the Queen Easter 86), of the new GMEX centre in Manchester, where they were sending a LHD model.

I placed an order the following week, £500 deposit, although the local BMW dealer didn't know about the car, he was happy to take my money. Ordered Red with stone leather.

Went to the opening of GMEX (didn't meet the queen)! Sure enough, there was the LHD one from Germany being swarmed over by visitors, it too was Red but black leather, liked it so much I changed my order to black leather.

The first RHD cars were not produced until July 86, when they made 10 (I think it was) the factory then shut down for the whole of August, for summer holidays, mine was one of those 10 & I took delivery on 20 Aug 86. Cost (looking at sales invoice now) £17687.99 incl £580.33 extra for leather interior. I did order first aid kit & warning triangle but they never arrived.

Engine No 24173929

Chassis No WBABB320X01881038

It's still in the same condition as when I bought it, waxoiled, & kept in my very dry heated garage, moved out on warm sunny days for an airing.

The reason for awakening it from hibernation is, my son has been nattering me to take him to his school Prom in it, I have a Westfield but he says that will spoil his hairstyle!!! :rolleyes: :wub:

What can a man do? lol

Cheers

I can't believe this............I've just sent an email enquiry to BMW, classic@bmwgroup, asking a question about leaded fuel for my engine (which it used to run on), this has gone to Germany, they replied 6 (six)! mins later with the answer and asked me if this was helpful!!!!!!!

Helpful, I said it was bl**dy fantastic, and have fired some more off.

I can run on unleaded they say, all engines produced after Sep 84, including mine, have hardened valve seats and will run on unleaded. Brill.

Cheers

I can't believe this............I've just sent an email enquiry to BMW, classic@bmwgroup, asking a question about leaded fuel for my engine (which it used to run on), this has gone to Germany, they replied 6 (six)! mins later with the answer and asked me if this was helpful!!!!!!!

Helpful, I said it was bl**dy fantastic, and have fired some more off.

I can run on unleaded they say, all engines produced after Sep 84, including mine, have hardened valve seats and will run on unleaded. Brill.

Cheers

Lol - so the fuel thats in there now (if any) is leaded, wonder if you could earn some money from it being the last in the world.

Haha

That's correct SeanR1. Although I don't think it will be much use now..............but it's ethanol free so won't have rotted or dissolved anything I'm hoping! Might have turned to soup though!

A little disappointed with BMW this time, sent them another email query and took 27 mins to reply!!!!!!! Must be because it's Friday afternoon. Do they do TFIF in Munich..... lol. I asked if valve or ignition timing needed adjustment, computer says "no adjustment needed when running on unleaded"........gets better all the time!! :)

Do you think they work Sats & Suns!! might try see how good they really are.

Cheers

Yes Stephen she is a beauty, totally, totally, totally original. Still with the original tax disc holder & number plates, the one very small detail that I really like, & one that no one notices, is on the number plate (& tax disc holder) there is the name & tele number of the supplying dealer, that is "Clock Garage Accrington. 0254 398331"

Get it !!!

Spotted it ??

Look again

On 16 April 1995 the digit "1" was inserted into all UK telephone geographic area codes, to get over the shortage of numbers. My plate is of course 1986 vintage. That's how they were then.

Just popped into the garage to get that tele number off the plate & rubbed my hand over the chrome bumper, it is flawless still.

Getting all excited about it now, can't believe it's sat there all this time.

Will keep putting up more snippets.

When I get more into the forum & understand how to, I'll put up some detailed pictures.

Question..... I only joined the forum yesterday, at what point do I leave this "new member welcome site" & have to move to another & what would that be?

Cheers

PS made a guess earlier with the mileage it's actually 20523 miles

Update1.

Dropped oil & water from engine, both looked good with so sludge or separation. Redex put into & left to soak in cylinders. Engine turned by hand very slowly & bit by bit over several days - all seems smooth, quiet & well. Have taken bonnet off as gives such good access to engine bay.

New timing belt, power steering & alternator belts fitted, all reassembled & filled with new fluids. Had a really good look at most engine components, taken lots of bits off to check them, all looking good. Worked on front discs which had surface rust on them, all cleaned & looking like a new pin.

No problems with parts from BMW, all bits so far delivered the following day & surprisingly not too expensive! Only using genuine BMW parts to maintain originality.

Next step is to turn engine on starter motor with no fuel or sparks to pump some oil around. Maybe tomorrows job.

Cheers

• Like 1

Update 2. "The Princess awakens".

So I did turn the engine on the starter motor to pump oil around, and watched the oil pressure light go out each time. Eventually the big moment came, tried starting it, no joy. No fuel being pumped to the injector rail.

So today I've had my electric fuel pump off, it's a Bosch unit mounted in front of the rear nearside wheel, adjacent to the jacking point. As they are sealed units, I had nothing to lose by taking it apart out of interest, to see how they are made & work.

It's a small electric motor with a pump on one end of the shaft, this fits into an aluminium canister, the open end of which is "crimped" around an end plate which forms the electrical connections, the bearing for the motor shaft, the commutator brushgear & the pump outlet pipe. I "uncrimped" the endplate & pulled it out, along with quite a bit of petrol.

I was gobsmacked!

The petrol is pumped through the motor, yes!, the armature, commutator, it's bearings & brushgear are running in petrol, & as you will know commutators always spark!!!

Of course there should be no air (oxygen) in there, but if say the outlet pipe ever deteriorated & dropped the fuel sufficiently to allow air in there.....well bang!

To complete the story, I freed the armature & pump, the end plate had an "O" ring rebated into it & I'd been very careful in taking it apart, the "O" ring seals the unit into the cannister, I put it back together recrimped it, ran it on the bench with fuel, tested for leaks, put it back into the car, primed the system & got ready to make a hasty retreat as I started the engine. The engine fired immediately & the pump appears as good as new. I don't know what a BMW replacement would be , but guess there'd be little change out of £200. I'll check.

I have never taken one apart before & had no idea they are constructed as this, I'm extremely alarmed at this design, I've worked with electric motors all my life but have never come across anything like this before.

Unbelievable me thinks, every time I start the car now I'll be thinking of that motor, whirring away submerged in fuel. Like sitting on a bomb!!

Anyway the first time the engine has run for 14 years, it sounded beautiful, purring is the only description which comes to mind, ran it for a good 30 mins, max 2000revs, to thoroughly warm everything through, slight exhaust leak just before the back box, could not see anything else.

My son stood in wonderment, he can't remember it ever running before, I think he was impressed.

Lots more to check out yet, am taking photos, & will post whenever.

Cheers

• Like 1

Update 3.

Another 60 mins running today whilst I checked through lots of things.

All systems seem good. Blowing exhaust is more major than I thought, it's the back of the back box low down, beyond repair I think, & with BMW price at £472!!! for back box only, I need to rethink this area. Also got price for a new electric fuel pump which I luckily repaired yesterday.....£335!!! That was a good repair & still looking good.

Have not yet replaced the brake fluid, on the list.

Has anyone any suggestions for back box replacement at sensible money but still trying to keep OEM?

Have also been looking at tyres which are 14", these don't seem to be in abundance either.

Cheers

Well within budget so far, got to look to the future & it's potential value!

Saw one advertised last week for 20k nowhere near as good as mine.

She's beautifully oiled up now & I'm looking for new rubber, the original 14" bottle top wheels are proving not be very popular with good tyre manufacturers, but have found some Continental contact 2 for £88 each fitted, a good German tyre & appropriate I think on a BMW. What's your fettish for rubber Claire?

Pictures will come!

Update 4.

Project going well, problem with back box partially resolved through purchase of new box from Eurocarparts @ £108!!! the last one of two they have in the country. It looks & measures identical to my original, let you know when it's fitted.

I've also sourced, but not yet purchased, some Continental contact 2 tyres @ £88 each fitted, these are a good German manufacturer & seem appropriate for a BM.The tyres on the car are the original Uniroyals, (as is the unused spare & alloy), but I'm expecting them to be rejected at MOT test through ageing.

The hood cover is held open by two gas struts, they are approx 4" long & 1/2" in diameter when closed, mine have lost their charge (pressure). £31.70 each from BM!!!!!!! Wow & the rest I said to the man in parts dept. Tried SGS in Derby for alternatives but no joy, I'll be doing a lot of looking before paying that.

Once the car is through MOT test I'll start polishing & bulling it up, looking forward to that part as it's the final hurdle.

I'll start looking at insurance next week, also don't know what the road tax will be, expensive I'd guess for a 2.5l 1986 petrol engined car.

Thats it for now Cheers

PS if you've any comments I'd love to hear from you, don't be strangers!

Tax won't be as expensive as you think, but costly nonetheless. 'Cos of its age and engine size it'll be £225 for the year. It's £500 a year for my M3 but hey worth every penny just to sit in front of an automotive symphony delivered by the superb V8. ;-)

Update 4.

Project going well, problem with back box partially resolved through purchase of new box from Eurocarparts @ £108!!! the last one of two they have in the country. It looks & measures identical to my original, let you know when it's fitted.

I've also sourced, but not yet purchased, some Continental contact 2 tyres @ £88 each fitted, these are a good German manufacturer & seem appropriate for a BM.The tyres on the car are the original Uniroyals, (as is the unused spare & alloy), but I'm expecting them to be rejected at MOT test through ageing.

The hood cover is held open by two gas struts, they are approx 4" long & 1/2" in diameter when closed, mine have lost their charge (pressure). £31.70 each from BM!!!!!!! Wow & the rest I said to the man in parts dept. Tried SGS in Derby for alternatives but no joy, I'll be doing a lot of looking before paying that.

Once the car is through MOT test I'll start polishing & bulling it up, looking forward to that part as it's the final hurdle.

I'll start looking at insurance next week, also don't know what the road tax will be, expensive I'd guess for a 2.5l 1986 petrol engined car.

Thats it for now Cheers

PS if you've any comments I'd love to hear from you, don't be strangers!

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links