2000 320D Fuel Pump Replaced But Won't Start

acb320d

Hello everyone, new on here. I have a year 2000 320D touring, 150k miles approx, (left hand drive, I live in France). Recently when returning from work the engine stopped, no noises, no warning lights, no smoke, just as though I'd switched off the ignition. To cut a long story short, the garage diagnosed a faulty fuel pump. I got a refurbished one which works fine, but despite the engine turning over as normal it will only start if they put a tiny spray of Easy Start (?) in it. When they get it going it runs like a dream, pulls well, quick response, no smoke, no warning lights. Even when the engine is hot and has just been stopped it refuses to start again, unless the dreaded spray is offered up. The guys are at a loss now, other than thinking that the pressure of the fuel being delivered is maybe on the low side, but they don't have the equipment to test it. I have spent hundreds on this problem, and haven't yet had the bill from the garage ! At the moment it's looking like I may have to go to a main dealer who will no doubt say it's the fuel pump and charge me a fortune ! Does anyone have any advice before I take any more steps. Used cars over here are worth a lot more than in the UK hence me spending this money and not just writing it off, so please don't suggest torching it !! I have had a lot of other work done on the car (much the same as a lot of other members) and I do like the car, had it over 5 years now, and would like it back and running as it used to. Many thanks in anticipation.

Guest DazH

Hey, Welcome to BMWOC

I would not diagnose that problem as a fuel pump.

In my experience, fuel pump failure wouldn't cause the car to stop instantly. It would take time for the fuel to lose pressure entirely.

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

As above... Possibly air in the fuel-line or fuel-rail which would also cause lack of pressure.

Once engine is running, the natural suction from the cylinders actually assist the injectors somewhat !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their advice, was unable to reply earlier due to technical issues. The problem has now been solved, it seems that the refurbished pump I was supplied with at high cost was not timed correctly, 12 degrees out I'm told. Anyway she runs as good as ever now and I'm a happy bunny, thanks again.

Hi there thanks for the info , I have the same problem ones u spray quick start in the manifold , it start and run like a dream , what i like to know witch pump did they replaced , the diesel pump on the engine or the one located in the tank ,

Regards Michael .

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links