Revs On Tick Over ?

SMH13

Hello

Had my 3 Series for about a week and very happy :)

I have noticed that when at a stand still with the engine ticking over , the revs are fluctuating ?

You can feel a slight juddering in the engine.

Should the engine tick over at a steady 900 ?

If anyone knows what this is, how I can sort it out I would be very grateful.

Thank You

Hi, Its not nearly stalling , I guess does that mean "hunting" ? Its not too bad yet.

Its got to go back for its service where I bought it so I will tell them.

Vacuum leak ? Is that a straight forward repair do you know ?

Thank You for your help

Hi Stella,

There is a number of different reasons why an engine may be doing this but I can assure that it's quite common and I am yet to hear of this being the symptom of a "Busted" engine so please don't worry.

"Hunting" is a term used to describe what happens when the engine is looking for it's correct idle. It sounds like it's going up and down, up and down. This is quite a nice example of what it may sound like:

Could be caused by an Idle Control Valve problem, and sometimes a vacuum leak as well as some other wee things but no need explain them until you have looked for these two things first.

FIRST thing to do is take Gav's advice and give the Idle Control Valve a good clean :) It's effected by common blow'by (Oil finding it's way into the respiratory system which gunks it up with sludge)

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

+1m to all the above...

When they do the service, she will be "plugged-in" to search/clear fault codes. I can bet you will have a few !

It WILL be an intake issue, MAF, ICV or throttle body... All easy fixes so don't let them arse you about wanting more cash ;)

Thank you so much , that is really helpful.

The garage where I bought it (main Fiat / Volvo dealership) , said they had a look and have now booked it in to BMW for Wednesday and will give me a Fiat 500 to raz round in ! Will let you know.......

Going to get the to look at : ariel - not great reception , 2 x powerpoints (cig lighter) not working ( think fuse has gone ) and hand brake.

Amazes me when they say they do the "100 point" checks on used cars !

Anyone know anything on the Diamondbrite high gloss skin and upholstery protection ?? Said would do it for £99 and guarantee it for life ??

Thank You :)

Well car still at garage : Timings ?? Something about they have replaced a roller and now are flushing the oil getting it up to temperature and flushing it again ! Now a leak in the sump. Totally bamboozled !

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links