X5 Wanna-Be?

wevman

hi all, i've currently got an e46 330ci, and i think i'm after an e70 diesel twin turbo, mostly because after a m/cycle accident i'm finding getting in/out of it a bit of a 'drama.' and i'm hoping that i'll find it easier to get in/out of an x5. (and i quite fancy growing up a bit). I was just hoping i could get some recomendations on what to look out for. My e46 is quite loaded with 'bells and whistles' and i don't really want to be missing out on any extras/options that i all ready have, so i wondered if you could tell me if i need to avoid anything in perticular? ie; what is x-drive? what are the options with tv? ipod connectivity? reverse camera etc, Look forward to any replies/suggestions. Thanks Paul.

P.S i'm a newbie to forums so i appologise for sounding stupid or spelling mistakes (haven't typed in years)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome

I brought a 4.4 petrol X5 last year primarily to tow a horse box (we had just sold the horse lorry). What influenced me?

As both my wife and I have other cars I didn't want to spend a fortune on a car that wouldn't get used that often.

It had to be capable of pulling 2 large horses and everything that goes with them.

I wanted something that was comfortable and reasonable on the motorway.

After trying several different marques Mercedes ML, Range Rover, Audi Q7, Toyota Amazon we tried an X5.

The X5 on the road is a far better drive than any of the others, equipment levels are comparable all had nav, phone etc, all could pull 3 tons with ease. Off Road ability what a load of rubbish is talked here!!! The furthest off road most of them go is a muddy track or slippery field.

Then I looked at prices, now I have never owned a BMW before and expected prices for a premium marque would be high what a pleasant surprise. On average prices were 2 or 3k below RR and Merc then I saw the X5 we brought, low-ish miles full history tax and MOT blah blah the thing was the price due to it being Petrol bargain, it seems no one wants a gas guzzler but this one was LPG converted.

Yes I did the research I knew suspension bushes are suspect around the mileage we were looking at so that went into the negotiation.

Since purchase I have had the suspension re-bushed with polybushes £480 and the car didnt have bluetooth and I kept forgetting to divert calls to the car or cancel it?? So I had the headunit replaced with one that has Radio, bluetooth,DVD, DVB TV, Ipod, Rev camera, Cd Changer and more all in £430 fitted.

I enjoy the drive so much it has ended up being used just about everyday, it's quick enough it's cheap to run and tax great when the snow came (Shooting is a hobby and it went everywhere without problem) I am so pleased I am selling my CLS and will upgrade the X5 later this year.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links