Buying 116D Or 118D - Any Issues?

Paulq

Hi all

Hope this is the appropriate place to ask a first question. I am looking at either a 116d or a 118d, both with around 30k miles, full service history and 1 owner from new. Both are the ES trim. Having never owned a BMW before I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to answer a few questions:

1. Are there any particular issues with either model/things I should look out for?

2. What is the servicing regimen for them and, broadly speaking, what's a typical service cost?

3. Are they generally regarded as reliable?

4. Do they have a DPF and if so are there any issues?

5. Is there a 'better' model between the two - the 116 and 118 or one that's best avoided?

Sorry for so many questions - just want to ask people who are more likely to know the answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi welcome to the club.

Ill try answer as many as your questions as best I can mate

1. Are there any particular issues with either model/things I should look out for?

Not that I know of other than regular problems all cars have

2. What is the servicing regimen for them broadly speaking, what's a typical service cost?

I do around 7-10k an year and BMW charge around £250 a year

3. Are they generally regarded as reliable?

Its a BMW, yes....but im not a big fan of the cheap plastic interior, i imagine it will get damaged easily.

4. Do they have a DPF and if so are there any issues?

They do have DPF, not sure of any issues

5. Is there a 'better' model between the two - the 116 and 118 or one that's best avoided?

I drove a 118d and thought it had terrible amounts of power for a 2ld engine. Personally Id go for the 120d, pay a little more road tax and still get 50mpg

I was considering all of them back in January, including the famous 123d, which has TwinPower engine (and around 204 ponies). I decided to go for a pre-particle filtered 120d from 2006 over 2008 123d, because it has a good amount of power (161 bhp), best of the old M47 engine platform (M47TU2D20) and you can still get around 45-50 mpg.

It's my first diesel as well (I'm a petrolhead), but I was so impressed with its famous reliability and fun it can give you, that it was a sensible choice for my first BMW. Also, look for the optional M Sport package, if you fancy something better looking and much better cornering/grip (the downside is the firm ride).

I'd forget the 116d, as you won't get any fun in it for the money. 120d is the way to go in my opinion.

Edit: Best of all, you can always remap the ECU (for around £200-350) on the 120d to give you almost 200 ponies. :)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links