728I Sluggish

james63

My 728 (2000) automatic occasionally seems to not want to select low gears. Even in manual shift mode, it will only pull in a gear which is at least one gear too high. This means 0-60 in just over 30 seconds. If it's downhill.

It's an intermittent problem, and when it's not there, the car is smooth and as quick (!) as it should be.

Any suggestions?

It's done 190000km, so what ever is the matter, I don't blame it..

Guest Mister Dabsy

If the car is cold it will hesitate, but as Ginger mentioned.... Yours has the later "Sealed/lifetime" gbox which is a myth, drain it and refill... Change the filter too !! ;)

If the car is cold it will hesitate, but as Ginger mentioned.... Yours has the later "Sealed/lifetime" gbox which is a myth, drain it and refill... Change the filter too !! ;)

Will do. Actually, what really induces the problem is moving then stopping then waiting then moving then stopping.. in traffic, when the car is hot. Does sound like a viscosity thing. Hopefully an easy fix.

post-5895-0-09935600-1359597981_thumb.jp

post-5895-0-54742800-1359598046_thumb.jp

I thought this had to be done carefully and with the gearbox oil at a certain temp etc...

I spoke to BMW re a gearbox oil change and they quoted cloe to £500!!! :blink:

I thought this had to be done carefully and with the gearbox oil at a certain temp etc...

I spoke to BMW re a gearbox oil change and they quoted cloe to £500!!! :blink:

Sounds a bit too much...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, since the last post the seven's had new brake pads front, new fan belt, one new pulley and new alternator.The sluggish thing was solved by replacement of the 'timing sensor (cam inlet)'. Cost for this work (not the brakes, alternator, etc) was RM360, or in english: 80 quid.

I live in Malaysia.

Actually, for anyone who's interested, the other costs (in GBP) were as follows:

New alternator 260.00

Labour to change alternator 18.00

Labour to change sensor 8.00

It seems to be cheap compared to UK, but then the car cost the equivalent of GBP15,500.00 two years ago, and its a 2000 model. New cars are loaded with tax over here (and by knock-on effect, second hand cars are relatively costly), partly to protect the local (Proton) industry; a new 520i would cost GBP78,000.00!

Proton, anyone?...er....no..

• 3 months later...

Air intake starts to get a bit sooty. Your gaskets maybe coming to the end of their life. If your water level is starting to need attention every 500 miles or so and there is no coolant leak then the head gasket is wearing out.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links