A Few Niggles...

Dave318

Right , so Ive searche through a lot fo threds and got a few, very vaired opinions about a few niggles with my car...

Its a 2003, 318 compact ti se, 2.0. 75k

Now and then, when the radio is off, i can hear a noise from behind where the glove box is, (when im driving) which sounds like water swishing around?

From what I can find, it seems to be most likely air in the cooling system...so im going to bleed this tomorrow and hopefully that will solve it.

Anyone go any other suggestion?

Also, ive been buring oil, like a lot of cars seem to, or at least the oi light is coming on around every 500 miles or so (and ive been topping up with 1 litre of oil).

I think the cause of this is a worn CCV? housing/valve which will be getting sorted when i find a garage willing to replace it...Other than that the car runs fine, no smoke, no visible leaks or noise...

The noise you are hearing from behind the glove box is most likely air in the cooling system as the system runs into the heating matrix like this:

matrixinletandoutletbq2.jpg

and looks like this:

$(KGrHqZHJBYE-hOp)sLDBPvhm7PP5!~~60_35.JPG

The oil you are burning is unacceptable. A number of things can be causing this but often a good service and a few things being cleaned can solve this. The CCV can indeed cause this problem by allowing far to much Blow-by. This component can be cleaned and should only be replaced once cleaning it does not solve the issue.

Either way, us as a community can help you with the tasks you need to perform

Daz

So bleeding the system should combat the nioise?

I think getting to the CCV is a big job though, isnt it well hidden in the engine bay?

So cleaning it, to replace it 500 miles later might be a task...!

Getting to the CCV is as hard as YOU make it. If you are handy with a socket set and have patience you will be fine. You don't need an understanding of how an engine works to replace a part as it is constructed logically. What is required is the will to WANT to know how the engine works as without it, this task will be soul destroying B)

Appose to other communities We are behind you 100% and will help where we can.

I personally LOVE pulling at machines I don't understand but if you don't pay to get it looked at bud

Daz

So the coolant system is sorted, new coolant/antifreeze and bled = no noise! (Fluid level was a bit low...)

Just as well, as its going to be -7 degrees here tonight! (19° Fahrenheit)

Top job matey, well done.

So the cars back, new rocker gasket, timing chain kit, and oil change - its running sweet.

Just one thing, oil service reminder is for 600 miles...can i reset this now, or do I have to wait unti the countdown expires?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links