316Ti None Runner

scooty

hello all, i was wondering if anyone can help, yesterday i dropped a mate off and as i pulled away i thought i stalled only the car wouldnt start again, it turns over but wont catch, its an 04 316ti es compact and is the only problem ive had in 4 months of owning it any ideas wot it could be or how much of a hammering the wallet is going to take.

First of all, Welcome to the BMWOC mate. Introduce yourself in our new members section and get some pictures up bud!

http://www.bmwownersclub.com/forums/index.php/forum/2-new-members-welcome/

-------

You will have either an N42 or an N46 lump under the bonet and both are chain driven. You MIGHT of skipped a tooth and put the engine out of time. This will happen if your chain guides have broken as they keep tension upon the chain. You will have to strip her down to a certain degree to check so it may be worth getting someone with an OBD reader to check other things first but it does sound like a possible timing issue.

My diagnoses is based upon the fact that it happened suddenly with no warning.

Hope this helps

Firstly welcome to the club.

Not sure if its visible on this engine, but if you take the oil filler cap off look down there while someone cranks it over...

No movement? Then go back to Dazs answer dude

thanks for the replies. it is the timing chain, i had the car taken away by a local garage this morning and its gonna be 900 quid providing nothing in the engine has bent, does anybody know if i have any comeback with bmw ie a recall or has anyone else had the same problem and could it go again. the rac man said this is a common fault on the 1 series but he hadnt seen it before on a compact thanks again

thanks for the replies. it is the timing chain, i had the car taken away by a local garage this morning and its gonna be 900 quid providing nothing in the engine has bent, does anybody know if i have any comeback with bmw ie a recall or has anyone else had the same problem and could it go again. the rac man said this is a common fault on the 1 series but he hadnt seen it before on a compact thanks again

1.Its not a common fault mate...not at all

2.£900 if nothings bent? should be around £900 if there is damage.

3.Compact engines are the same that are in the saloons/tourers/sedans

Just to clarify, your talking about an 04 316 not a 1 series as you have mentioned both?

Get a quote from elsewhere mate.

hi , yes mate 316ti compact had a full history all the receipts and was owned by a retired copper who had lookd after it. its a propper kick in the nuts, didnt see it coming at all no nocks or bangs it just cut out and wouldnt start again, i thought id stalled it. gutted

As the Gavman said, it's not a common fault.

BMW use their engines in multiple cars that often cross series for example, the 328i has the EXACT engine as the 528i and the 728i of that era. Therefore, the RAC gimp can't really say what he said without revealing he is a bit of a plank

As I said from the VEEEEERY beginning. It sounds like it has skipped a tooth on the timing gear so there should not be any damage to valves/pistons etc as its not like a cam-belt. When a cam-belt snaps, the valves are subject to the pistons wacking them in random order and at a very high RPM (whatever RPM it snaps at).

What I am trying to clarify is that the chain has unlikely "Snapped" or came off the gear completely therefore the cams will most likely still spin if you inspect them

that £900 cost you was quoted may seem like a lot but it can be justified due to the inspections that they will do upon the valves. They will most likely want to pull the head to inspect it. The £900 is steep IF they do this but if they remove the timing cover and realise it has only skipped a single tooth then the £900 is over-kill.

Get a few more quotes anyway mate

P.S don't worry how I know but old bill don't necessarily drive like saints :)

ha ha good shout about the filth and the rac, the car is already in the garage in bits the man has said they are goimg to check everything inside the engine and ive had work done by them in the past and they have always been honest and reasonable (NO VAT) so that will save me a couple of quid. i was gutted when it happned as its by far and away the best car ive owned/driven (70,000miles but it drives like brand new). i only hope it doesnt turn into a cash cow as im stuck with it for another 3 and a half years (financed). only downside has been the missus saying its a puffs car and now calling me a puff coz i have to borrow her beetle. but anyway thanks for the imput and i will keep updating as soon as the garage let me know wot the score is. thanks all

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links