Help! 320D E46 Engine Bay Smokes

320Dowsey

So i brought a bmw 320d e46 back in january it had 145k on the clock but has has a full engine rebuild (inc. 3 new pistons) a new turbo, clutch and flywheel and has been serviced regularly. It's now on 151k and i was driving on a relatively short journey when i noticed at a set of lights smokes was coming through me bonnet and the top and when i could i pulled over and check smoke was coming out from under the engine cover from the top right (exhaust manifold side) i let it stand for awhile before starting it again and by the time i got home smoke was coming from the heather vents and it smokes of fuel quite strong. Could it be a crack in the turbo/exhaust manifold? or something different? Is it a costly job? Any help is much appreciated thanks.

Guest DazH

Usually, smoke from under the bonnet (NOT steam) is an indication that Oil is being burnt. When the engine is cold, have a good look around the seals/gasket for any leaks. If oil gets onto the Exhaust Manifold, it will smoke

Guest DazH

okie dokie ill have a look at the weekend or tomorrow because all my tools are at work. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix as i've not had it too long.

why did it need an entire rebuild (+ Pistons/Flywheel). who was the previous owner!? a 32stone drifter?

Keep us posted buddy

The swirl flaps got dragged through the engine for the rebuild the turbo went and the clutch and flywheel were changed due to wear and tear i guess. i got some key tools from work and whipped the rocker cover off and the injectors look fine until i looked at the last one right at the back underneath the secondary bulkhead. I need a better look to see if it is the seals or injector what wud be the best/most convinient way of getting to it?

Fixed! for people that have this problem later on. I removed the rear engine cover by removing the pollen filter the cover was held with spring clips remove the filter then torx30 bolts (4 of them) held the inner casing on. Then a further 2 torx 30 bolts held the secondary bulkhead/ pollen filter housing on. Then the read engine cover was just the 6mm allen keys (i think) 4 of them held it on then i cleared the diesel up started it up to find the source of the leak. In my case it was the rubber stopper on the top of the injector hose. The braided pipe was also wet so i just picked a diesel leak off pipe kit from halfords which cost me £4.47 with my trade card i undid the injector wiring which need a e6 socket (2bolts) unclipped the circlip on the fourth injector replaced the rubber stopper and cut the braided hose to size replaced that then put in all back in order took for a 40 min test drive and i seem to be diesel and smoke free inside the cabin and the engine bay.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links