Hi There From A Mini Cooper R53 Owner In Kent

Wilko R53

I just thought I'd say hello as I have just joined the forum. A little about myself, and my car.

I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and i have always been a bit of a petrolhead, having owned a few of the RS branded Fords in the past, as well as an E30 M3, and now I'm in the middle of building and tuning my Mini Cooper R53 to do the odd track day, and of course to surprise a few people on the roads, as well. I will probably spend more time on the Mini section but I will watch with envy some of you guys with your far superior cars on the other parts of the forum.

I'll dig some photos out from when I purchased the car, up to where I am with it now. Not quite sure how quick it actually is, but it's all coming together rather nicely. Maybe if there's any regional meets in the Kent area, I can come along in my mini. One thing is for sure......... you will certainly hear the car from afar! I run it with a janspeed manifold, a decat pipe, and a Miltek cat back system.

I'm running it on a fully rebuilt engine after an after market cam disintergrated on a rolling road session and all the fillings went everywhere within the block along with the engine oil. It now runs a 1750cc conversion, lightened and balanced, forged ceramic coated pistons, billet conrods, the block is the thin walled block but sleeves have been fitted to make the cylinders stronger as the thin walled blocks tend to end up with ovalising of the bores through heat distortion when running big power. The whole engine is held together with ARP bolts and so good for 8000 RPM if we use a cam with the power at that end of the rev range. The head has been ported and polished, new valves and guides etc. And all is timed in on a race spec Schrick cam. The main bearings, big ends, and small ends are all uprated items. The inlet manifold has been ported and polished and matched to the throats of the head, as well as the janspeed manifold has been opened out to match the exhaust ports perfectly, too. I run a chargecooler to keep the IAT'S down, with all the mods I'm running, because the engine is now far far more efficient at getting the exhaust gases out of the block, I have seen nearly a four psi drop on the supercharger's back pressure with a higher output. I'm now looking to run an even smaller pulley to give me back the 18-19psi along with running yet bigger injectors to give me even more power. At the moment, until the cars fitted with the new VIPEC stand alone ecu, we are guessing a power figure in the region of 240-255BHP is more than possible at the moment. We could be looking at a figure in the region of around 285-295 once we have worked a little more on it. this car goes off of its 150mph speedo anytime.

I run a set of fully adjustable coil overs on it with camber adjustment up front, adjustable camber arms on the rear, and a set of the R56 Brembo brakes up front at the moment, to help keep the car stable on the roads.

Thank you. Obviously a bit out of the league you guys are in with your BMWs. However, I'd be up for popping along to a meet or two in the Kent area when they are going on, or maybe mix it up with you guys on the track when the next trackday is at Brands?

lovely looking motor, problem is once you start modding it never stops , i am the same with my V70r ( which i was supposed to sell as i got the 728) but got that upto 290bhp 0 to 60 5.8secs mid range is ridiculously quick , top end about 165mph, so no where your coming from.... good luck mate, looks and sounds awesome

i bet it is, the V70r is great in a straight line with awesome power but not so good at the handling, in fact the 728 sport i have is better, but been told by the missus again " get rid of that car " meaning the V70r but it is so addictive when you kick her down, specially when you sit on the ##### of a porsche in an old vlove estate.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome.. Nice mini ;)

nice mini pics :) sounds like it'll be a lot of fun on the track and certainly suprise a few on the roads too .

Another mini owner. Finally! Mines standerd tho :-(

Well I have just ordered a 20% reduced pulley and the water meth injection is on its way too. Should really improve mid range pull and I'll be able to run wide open throttle for far longer periods.

Just had the cat refitted as the exhaust was getting louder on long journeys. Now found out the centre box had cracked all around the pipe exit from the box, so I had the centre box replaced with a smaller one and the car sounds really good now. It'll easy pass the decibel limit trackside now! Looking to replace the wheels in the future with either a set of BBS RC's, CH's, or LM's.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links